I need help with coding word definitions

n00b here just looking for a little help. I just started the course work and was wondering if there was some way that the terms listed in red could be defined? I know they are not links to anything obviously but is there some resource that I’m missing when it comes to learning what the words in red mean? i look forward to any help you all can provide and thanks a million!

Try MDN: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript

It should have everything you are looking for :slight_smile:

As @Aaronms said, you should checkout MDN, at first it may seem a bit cryptic but as you move through the challenges on freeCodeCamp it’ll make more sense, beyond that sites like W3Schools (beginner friendly explanations). If you are into reading advanced technical documentation consider reading W3’s HTML Specifically, it defines exactly how various features of HTML should work.

When you say “terms listed in red”, do you mean the code snippets? Those are the only text in most fcc exercises shown in red. Most of them aren’t terms per se, just markup, names of methods, etc.

Agree with the MDN suggestion (that will cover much of the stuff in those code snippets too, e.g. look up div and you’ll find info about div elements, look up splice and you’ll find info about the splice() array method, etc). W3 documentation is good if you want to learn the intricacies of various web technologies, but the docs tend to be prescriptive rather than descriptive, which means they cover how things are supposed to work, not necessarily how browsers implement things.

Thanks @Aaronms for the link and to be completely honest, by the “words in red” I even meant the things such as “element” or “lorem ipsum text” that are in the very first few challenges. Like I said, I am a complete n00b when it comes to coding although I do have some experience and past interest in Hardware. Is there any resources you all could recommend for basic definitions, examples, things like that?? Thanks again to all of you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Try this:

1. For each challenge where you want to look up the red text, open your browser console (if you use Chrome, the shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + I).
  2. Copy and paste this code in, then press Enter:
for (var i=0; i<document.querySelectorAll('code').length; i++) {
  var term = document.querySelectorAll('code')[i];
  term.innerHTML = '<a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=' + term.innerText + '">' + term.innerHTML + '</a>'
}

3. Everything that was previously red text should now appear as blue hyperlinks, which you can click to take you to a Google search page with the relevant search terms.

Edit: In response to the specific question, I know I’m an unashamed MDN fanboy so I’m maybe a bit biased, but it really is a great resource (though it’s also a Wiki so quality/comprehension difficulty can be a bit uneven). You could also run the above code replacing the Google URL with this:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/search?q=
That would take you to the MDN search page for each term (very useful for specific tags, methods, and web technologies, less so for more general stuff like Lorem Ipsum).

1 Like