I need help with personal portfolio

hey guys, so Ive been stuck on the personal portfolio for a while now. i don’t know where to start, I’ve been trying to figure it out on my own but realized i don’t even know what to look for when I’m googling. most of the help I’ve found on google is outdated and i just find myself even more lost. i finally decided to come to the forum for help, I’m a total noob so anything helps. if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!

Start at the beginning. And when you come to the end… stop.

(Love that quote from the Mad Hatter and March Hare… cartoon Alice in Wonderland.)

Even though it’s just html and css, I struggled with the portfolio project too. It’s about you and you want it to represent you in the best, coolest, most awesome, spectacular way with and extra helping of cool, and awesome. You’re putting yourself out there and that can be a little scary.

I found the best way is just to start with any little piece. I did something called Crazy Eights. Basically, you fold a sheet of paper in 8 sections and then draw a quick sketch for 1 minute. When that minute is up, reset the timer and draw sketch #2. Keep doing that as fast as you can for the full 8 boxes (with time to reset the clock, it should be less than 10-15 minutes). Each time you sketch, change only one or two things from the previous sketch. There isn’t a lot of room and no time for details… keep it to boxes and line.

Then, pick one (or a combination that you like) and jot down ideas on how you might do it.

Finally, fire up a text editor and start adding some html.

PS. Don’t get crazy with features. You have your whole career to play with interesting ideas on your website. Start at the top, work your way down to the bottom. Stop.

1 Like

thanks,
i was able to sketch a simple design for the portfolio. now i will look into how to bring it to code.

When you’re first starting out, it’s totally OK(IMO) to go look at other portfolios and try to recreate them. Though, it’d be nice to improve upon it. Incorporating things that they didn’t include(e.g. social media icons, some special CSS effects - fadeIn, etc.)

Go check out portfolios, and recreate them. Try not to look at the code. If you do, though, try to understand it.

Best of luck.