If I finish FCC (or at least the front end part), will I be able to switch to UX design easily?

I started coding in July in python. It was interesting first, but I was lacking any plan or direction and it lead me to loose interest. When I found FCC I became interested in coding again and started doing it. I’m right now at the CSS flexbox part. But now I found out about UX design and I realized that I’m even more interested in that field than in web development. But I don’t want to just always chase after the next new shiny thing I’m currently interested in.
So this is my plan: I can only sit at the computer when my toddler is sleeping and my husband isn’t doing his own freelance work, which is maximum an hour or two a day. During this time I go through the FCC curriculum. When I’m not sitting at the computer I learn on my phone about UX design through articles and videos. Eventually if I get a developer job it will be easy to switch to UX design if I’m still interested in it.
Does it sound like a good plan? Or becoming a designer is a completely different route than becoming a web developer and I’m just wasting my time with doing one if I end up wanting to do the other one?

The common wisdom is that engineers are famously bad at UX, and UX designers are poor at understanding the engineering behind a UI. They’re different skills, but they are complementary, since with a development background, you’ll be able to understand what underlies a UI. However, it is possible to get mired in implementation details and not see the forest for the trees, so at times you’ll want to check yourself to make sure you’re wearing your UX hat, not the programmer one.

I speak only as a programmer who occasionally has to fill in a UX role (because it’s a two-person team and the other guy is also a programmer), so some extra input from UX professionals would do a lot of good here.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I really want to start a new career, but at this moment I have a lot of doubt about myself whether programming is right for me.
It’s because the first two times I tried coding as a teenager and I came to hate it, but as I tried it in July I actually enjoyed solving problems and I started to think that coding is in fact right for me and the reason behind my two failed attempts was that my father put a lot of pressure on me.
He is a professor of CS and whenever I didn’t manage to solve a problem or not as quickly as I expected he made me feel really bad about myself, he just couldn’t cope with the fact that maybe his daughter isn’t a genius just a regular human being. :smiley:
So now that I’m learning without him I’m actually enjoying it, tubut I can’t quiet that voice in my head that is telling me that I’ve already failed twice, maybe it’s really not for me and I should have a plan B, which is UX design.

3 Likes

Hi CsobiMudi, I’m on the same path: both UX and Front End, but I started with UX after learning a little bit of HTML/CSS. And then I took a break and studied Front End again.
I rebuilt a website and had to re-design parts of it as the existing CSS was very old. Loved every bit of it! And used my new UX skills. But I also enjoyed solving all the puzzles the Front End provided.

And yes I think you’ll be able to switch to UX after getting a developer job.

I learned UX here: https://www.interaction-design.org
You might also be interested in books like: About Face (Alan Cooper), Don’t make me think (Steve Krug), The Stranger’s Long Neck (Gerry McGovern), Neuro Web Design (Susan Weinschenk), Emotional Design (Don Norman), Evil by Design (Chris Nodder).

And this website: https://boagworld.com

1 Like

Thank you, I’m going to check out all these websites and books, they sound very interesting.

1 Like