I'm in a bit of a dilemma

So for a while I’ve been doing JS tutorials and follow along projects, and I feel like I’m missing a lot of fundamental stuff. I know that I’m missing stuff but I don’t know what I am missing It’s like I feel like I can’t put together JS code. I even did the udemy course Weird parts of JavaScript. I don’t really know what I’m asking but I feel confused about how JavaScript really works.

Edit:
Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel better now. I’ll stick through and see what happens.

1 Like

The biggest thing to remember is that you are learning something entirely new. Think of learning a new language, if you are fluent in English and want to learn Spanish you are going to feel the same way. However, the more you use it the more it makes sense. The best way to understand it, in my opinion, is to stop the tutorials and do something on your own. See what you actually know and if you get stuck look it up and you will realize what you are missing.

You probably understand more than you think.

@Olspe Trust me, learning new coding languages can be daunting, especially if one has never learned one before. The best way I have found to learn a new language is to find a project that excited me, whether it be making games, hacking or what have you. Once you have discovered what types of projects motivate you, it’s sort of like your passion will carry you from there. Don’t worry, you’ll be just fine.

1 Like

Programming is best learnt by applying the knowledge in real projects. For the knowledge to stick and make sense of the language, identify some projects where you can apply what you have learned. About failing to understand JS, you’re not alone. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Learning a programming language is like learning a natural language. You can become better at it with constant practice.

Everyone’s comments are pretty much on the money. Something to help specifically with JS - try Wes Bos’s free course, JavaScript 30. I also did a lot of HackerRank tests, which focuses a lot on algorithms in general.

Both of these really helped solidify (for me) how JavaScript works and several of the ways I can use it.

1 Like

I would imagine something like The Weird Parts of Javascript would be a bunch of advanced concepts. It sounds like you feel like you don’t have the fundamentals down as much as you would like, in which case a more advanced course probably wouldn’t be suitable.

The JS section here on FCC is pretty nice when it comes to fundamental JS. I also took Jonas Schmedtmann’s “The Complete Javascript Course”, which was really great with regards to learning the fundamentals.