Information about freecodecamp and C++

I have just signed up and I’m interested in progressing through all that freecodecamp has to offer. I have been educating myself C++ for the passed few months and very happy with my progress; I signed up to freecodecamp assuming C++ would be a part of the curriculum however, it doesn’t appear to be. This is ultimately fine, I am still keen to work through everything that is offered, though, I am not trying to start too much at once and overwhelm myself in the process.

So with that in mind - what (if any) in the way of C++ (and certification if available) is on offer from Freecodecamp?

FCC is mainly focussed on web development. C++ is not commonly used for web dev for I would not expect it to be added anytime soon. C++ is a great language and is very popular and it has a lot of uses, but web dev isn’t commonly one of them.

But JavaScript is very important in web dev and JS is a descendent or C, so JS and C++ are kind of siblings - a lot of what you learned would apply.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I’ll certainly get around to working through the sites modules when I free up some more time from my other study projects. I’m glad to hear JS shouldn’t present too much of a learning curve armed with my C++ knowledge.

Well, there will still be a learning curve - they are different languages - but you’d have a big head start. Pretty much all computer languages share a lot of core concepts. And since both C++ and JS are based on C, A LOT of the syntax will be familiar. There will be a lot of times where you go, “Oh yeah, I know this.” But it will take some work - there are also some important differences. But you will definitely have a big head start and worth through it more quickly. I learned C decades before I did FCC and it was a huge help when learning JS.

If I had to guess, I would say it’s like a native Spanish speaker learning Portuguese - there’s some work but there are a lot of overlapping concepts and a lot of overlapping vocabulary.

Undoubtedly, yes. But as you say, familiar syntax; the familiar core concepts; what I have learnt previously will all be invaluable to me when it comes to getting stuck in.

I’m excited, the passed few months I have immersed myself in C++ and I’m at a stage of competent understanding now. I can comprehend what I’m looking at without the attached overwhelming feeling a beginner often gets when faced with a wall of code. Still long road ahead of course but confidence grows each passing day.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out, it’s much appreciated.

1 Like