Is a project finished if your code could be improved?

Hi there,

I just finished a portfolio website for myself, everything is functioning as it should. However the code could be improved significantly. I have a lot of repetitive code and if another developer came along they probably would not like what they see.

So my question is - If you have a fully functioning website/app. Do you tend to mitigate any problems with your code? Or do you move onto learning something new after spending HOURS on just getting something to work.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Thanks,
James. :slight_smile:

If I know clearly how I can improve it, I do this. However, sometimes I am not sure how to make the code nicer or what new features could be implemented. With my own portfolio I was totally not sure about what design I want, so I made it with whatever came to my mind planning to re-make it when I have more ideas and knowledge.
Sometimes I work on the new project and after I finish it, I understand how I should fix my old one - and it would take me more time if I just stayed struggling with the old.
I think itā€™s better to move on when you have done all you can with your current project and return to it later after doing something new. Of course, if your code is a mess and you know how to make it more structured, itā€™s better to do that, or you may not understand it after a month or two))

Depends what you want to do with your app. For instance, the random quote generator that I have has a box and thatā€™s it, no fancy design or what ever. I also do not intend to remake it because I donā€™t have any intent on showing the site to anyone, itā€™s made pure for the project completion.

However, with something like a portfolio page, Iā€™ll spend days refining code/design that could be improved, simply because I inted to show it to people. So, what I do is decide what the purpouse of the webpage is and then either improve it or leave it.

HI James,

an old wisdom ā€œa website and a project are never finishedā€.
It doesnā€™t matter how experienced you are. After a while you
will ever have the feeling that you can make it better and this is a good sign!!
You learn more and more with every finished project. So of course
you can make it better after a while.

The portfolio grow with you. There will come many projects which you donā€™t like to refresh but your portfolio must be (or should be) up to date and if you want to code a new one bye this time, why not?
And donā€™t care about what other people think about it. You must have a good feeling with it not the others :slight_smile:

Regards
Phajava

As someone who tends to burn out quickly when working on the same thing for too long, I consider the project ā€˜doneā€™ enough to submit once it fulfills the user stories, but I do come back and improve the code with the knowledge that I gain from newer projects. Moving onto the next project tends to be better for my focus; itā€™s easier for me to come back and fix up the old stuff later when Iā€™m not so tired of looking at it.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah I think this is a good idea. I thought it was bad of me to just leave the code in a bad state however I think moving onto a new project can be quite motivating to make it more efficient

Thanks!