Is it good to learn new many technologies

Hello :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: I hope you had a good day. Let me present myself. I’m Skelos, I live in France (so sorry if my english is a little bit weird haha) and I’m 16. That’s important because I started to learn programming 1 year ago (soon 2). I do all my websites with the MEVN stack (sometimes MERN, it depends of the project).

I have a future project in mind and I don’t know if it’s good to work only with MEVN stack (or MERN) for the project and the future other project because, on the future when I will work I’m scared to be in a project where there is not Vue.js, Express.js or MongoDB. For example if I have a PHP project or a Ruby On Rails project or Angular project etc… I don’t know those techonologies.

So there is my question :

Is it good to learn many technologies now because I’m 16 and I’m at school so I’ve the time to ? And so make my own pile stack ?

Thanks in advance for your answers :slightly_smiling_face:

Bonjour/Bonsoir Skelos! Ca va bien?
Je ne parle pas Francais…
That’s all I know in French!

It sounds like you have a lot going on! High school is very demanding so if you have time to learn other new things, that is always a plus. I think the question is do you know why you want to learn a specific technology?
For eg. is it because you are curious or just because you think it will help you with the next project? Or because you like a challenge?

If you plan to be a software developer you will need to always be learning new things even if that is scary. So if only for that reason, I would encourage you to learn something new if you are already comfortable with the stack(s) you know.

2 Likes

I will follow what you said, thanks a lot for your answer ! :slightly_smiling_face:
well done for the french sentence haha

1 Like

Hi @skelos9692 !

Welcome to the forum!

That will happen though.
If you work as a developer, you will have to work with many different technologies.

When I first started working, the first project I was on had RxJS, and React.
I was really familiar with React but had never worked with RxJS.
So I read up on some documentation and researched on issues I had in order to work on the tickets I was assigned.

This will be a common occurrence throughout your software career. But if you have a good foundation in the fundamentals and good experience working and building projects, then you will be able to learn new technologies as necessary.

I had to work on an Angular project a couple of months ago, and it took a bit to ramp up fully having never worked with Angular before. But I paired programming with another developer that was an Angular dev to better understand the codebase and some of the patterns used.

First think about the problem you want to solve, then choose the appropriate technologies that will work to build the app.
At the end of the day, all of the technologies are just tools for the job.
It is about deciding which ones would be appropriate for the job at hand.

If you are building a new project and your current tech stack would work, then just use that. If it looks like you might need to learn a new technology, then take your time learning and working with it. You don’t have to aim to be an expert with that new piece of tech. Just learn enough to get the job done.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer ! It helped me :+1:

yes its good to learn new technologies especially if you are planning to be a software developer or venture into programing or anything related.

1 Like

If you are early in your learnings or career I usually suggest focusing on learning more broad strokes of technologies, rather than trying to get really good at any one thing.

There are a number of reasons for this, the main one is you want was much context to what you are doing as possible. This means having a high level idea of anything/everything can help you become better at whatever you end up doing later.

So for example if you only know X, Y, Z, you will try to build everything out of X, Y, Z. Even if those are the totally wrong tools for the job. In comparison if you know a bunch of different tools, maybe not as deeply, you will be able to pick better tools for a given job and have a better higher level understanding as to why you can pick those over others. At that point you can start to learn more specifics and get better at what you picked.

So yes I’d suggest learn more things, heck learn all the things. All of it can help you down the line to at least help form a baseline of knowledge you can always fallback on, at which point you can make decisions on what to focus on.

For example, knowing what React offers over Angular, and vice-versa can give you an idea of what each is good at and bad at. Or even some background historical knowledge of why PHP is often “looked down upon” even though modern PHP development is vastly more improved.

Essentially you don’t want or need to be an expert in anything, but you want to be able to have the context to know what you can learn more deeply next!

Good luck, keep learning, keep growing :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer :slightly_smiling_face: it helped me

Hi @skelos9692,

I would recommend getting familiar with one technology if you’re a beginner. Build a strong foundational knowledge of techniques and concepts. Once you’re familiar with one technology and confident that you can solve any problem using that tech stack, you can jump to other technologies.

As @jwilkins.oboe rightly pointed out,

At the end of the day, all of the technologies are just tools for the job.

Learning other technologies will be much easy for you after this stage.

1 Like

Hello, skelos9692! For programmers, it is important to learn new information and even new programming languages.

1 Like