Is sticking to a single Frontend framework/library will risk my career?

Dear all,
I am having fear for the last couple of months. I am working with a company for a year after graduating in 2017. This is my first job and working with Angular 2+ here. Because of some issues, I am looking for a new job. But, I got it disappointing when I found so fewer job opportunities (both locally and remotely) for Angular relative to ReactJS. I have got an offer today from a company which is also working with Angular. If I work there I will certainly enter into Angular ecosystem.

I am having a fear that will my experience with Angular for one/two years will be just void after one/two years? Because no one wants to hire a developer who has not related experience.

I personally believe the opposite.
You have a lot of experience, and you probably learned a lot working with a single stack.

That knowledge is easy to transfer to whatever new you may pursue, moreover that it comes from “on the job” experience.

You can turn it into a huge strength :slight_smile:

Of you’re a strong developer in an Angular environment, then you can learn React (or Vue or whatever comes next). Almost all of the web developers that I work with learned the framework on the job (including myself).

My perspective is that so long as you have a decent understanding of JS you can learn any framework or library. Frameworks come and go but so long as you have strong understanding of the core which is JS you can always learn

1 Like

I personally believe you hire people that are able to learn new things, rather than already know the things needed for the job. Obviously having more prior experience is a plus, but not usually a requirement. If you were able to learn Angular 2 in a few months, then odds are you can learn whatever is required in a few months on the job.

If your extremely concerned with job opportunities related to Angular, then learning some of React would help during interviews, so you can say “I know some”. Lots of ideas/concepts are transferable between the three main front-end frameworks, and all are javascript. So there’s enough common ground to be able to jump between the two if needed.

Just make sure you know Javascript well enough, and you should be fine.

Don’t worry. The Angular framework is solid as a rock, enables rapid development of enterprise-scale apps, and is backed by two of the biggest tech companies on the planet (if you include Microsoft’s support for Typescript).

It’s not as hot as React right now, but there still plenty of jobs.