Issue running offline

I am trying to get free code camp running locally offline and am having an issue. I followed the guide Contribution Guidelines | freeCodeCamp.org and everything works fine when connected to wifi but running pnpm develop without wifi gives an error

FetchError: request to https://cdn.freecodecamp.org/universal/trending/english.yaml failed, reason: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND cdn.freecodecamp.org

I was under the impression that after downloading and running the command the first time, internet would not be required after that. Is internet always required for pnpm develop?

1 Like

Welcome there,

I often develop without internet access. All that is required is:
a) pnpm i to get all the node_modules
b) pnpm run develop to build the configs, download trending.json, and download the component library packages
c) OPTIONAL but recommended: Change the build:css script to remove the dlx command. That way, the component library does not spend an extra 20min trying to fetch stuff from the net.

Hope this clarifies

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I tried removing the dlx command from build:css but did not notice much of a difference, it will still fail to run without internet. Is there no way to cache the configs and the trending.json after the first initial running of pnpm develop?

The files are cached:

Provided you are not running pnpm run clean-and-develop, the files will remain for subsequent runs.

The problem is in the client/tools/download-trending.ts file, the download function here is fetching the trending JSON each time and will throw an error if not found

I adjusted this function to use the existing trending JSON file if it exists and now I am able to run pnpm develop completely offline

const download = async (clientLocale: string) => {
  const url = createCdnUrl(clientLocale)

const trendingLocation = path.resolve(
    __dirname,
    `../i18n/locales/${clientLocale}/trending.json`
  )

const loadTrendingJSON = async () => {
    try {
      const res = await fetch(url)
      const data = await res.text()
      const trendingJSON = JSON.stringify(yaml.load(data))

return trendingJSON
    } catch (error) {
      const cachedTrendingJSON = readFileSync(trendingLocation, 'utf8')

if (!cachedTrendingJSON) {
        throw new Error(
          `
          ----------------------------------------------------
          Error: The CDN is missing the trending YAML file.
          Unable to fetch the ${clientLocale}
          `
        )
      }

return cachedTrendingJSON
    }
  }

const trendingJSON = await loadTrendingJSON()

writeFileSync(trendingLocation, trendingJSON)

const trendingObject = JSON.parse(trendingJSON) as Record<string, string>

const validationError =
    (trendingSchemaValidator(trendingObject).error as Error) || null

if (validationError) {
    throw new Error(
      `
    Error: The trending JSON is invalid.
    Unable to validate the ${clientLocale} trending JSON schema: ${validationError.message}
    `
    )
  }
}

Create a PR with this fix fix: adjust `client/tools/download-trending.ts` to work without internet connection by Riley-Brown · Pull Request #51286 · freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.