JavaScript - My Journey so far

Hi fellow learners,

I’m new to Free Code Camp and have started with Java Script 3 weeks ago.
I’m nearly finished with Basic Java Script but not with the whole JavaScript.

I don’t know how to feel about it. Honestly I understood most of the stuff lessons tried to teach but some were too damn hard. Like, when we get to solve it I couldn’t get past it without using “Solution” from get a hint.
I must’ve used it like at least 7 times through the course just to give me an idea what I need to write. Some were okay and I had similar idea as to what “Solution” would be and some were just soul crushing lol.

I don’t know if this is good.
I don’t see the point in going through all of the exercise again but I wonder how did you guys get past this feeling.
I feel like If someone was to ask me to write a solution to some of the math random exercises or recursion, I wouldn’t have a clue.

Should I just press on hoping it’ll get better with some projects later on or what do you guys recommend?

Hey! Don’t drop learning…You will see that your knowledge will grow as much as you practice…Try solving more and more problems and if you are stuck then feel free to look at the solution. Do this and after some days you will be able to catch everything

Honestly, I’d stop looking at the solutions. When something isn’t making sense, please ask here on the forum. We can help you understand better.

1 Like

Right, looking at solutions is not a good idea. As Jeremy suggests, ask the forum. Whatever question you might have, I guarantee that there are people wondering the same thing but lack the courage to ask.

I would also add that googling things can be fruitful too. And professional devs are googling things all the time. Obviously you don’t want to be googling the solution, but concepts, etc., that can be good.

And don’t be too hard on yourself. Coding is hard and JS is harder than what’s come before.

2 Likes

You can’t learn anything complex in 3 weeks, let alone a programming language (the syntax) and how to use it (actual programming). Give it some time.

That is totally expected. I mean the point is not for it to be soul-crushing, but I remember feeling just like that as well. You have, to the best of your abilities at the time, written this super long convoluted solution with nested for loops and whatnot, and then when you look at the hint page you see it can be done in one line of code with some knowledge of array methods and a few other JS methods (like Set, Math, etc.).

You simply may not know about some of the methods yet. Some of the solutions may just be using techniques you really are not expected to know about at that point as a beginner. I would suggest not looking at the solution for answers, but for inspiration and seeing different ways a problem can be solved.

2 Likes

I think I’ll go back through some of the challenges I easily solved with “Solution”.
Thanks for the feedback :smiley:

it’s completely normal to pick up some things really easily and be completely confused by others when you’re learning something new. something that’s helped me is, if i did resort to the solution, i’d read through it and break it apart to figure out what exactly i did wrong, why what i did was wrong, and how the code in the solution itself functions. if i were you, i wouldn’t move on until i had a solid understanding of everything you’ve gone over so far (no matter how small) because if you go ahead and move on things will just become more complex and you’ll be even more confused. like jeremy and kevin said, there are tons of knowledgeable people on this forum who would be more than willing to help you out. you may also find that youtube videos and google searches can help you out, too. this is cliche, but don’t be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions. i wish you the best on your coding journey!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.