Just a conversational thread about JavaScript

Thanks!! :slightly_smiling_face:

nice thank you mr or ms !

CSS is probably harder, in my opinion

1 Like

Oh no. Css is so easy for me. Though I have been told by some people that JS was easier for them.

I think the reason I love CSS so much is because I love color. So doing styling with css is like building a beautiful, colorful garden or movie. I feel so satisfied as I see everything visibly change before my eyes.

With JS, I see it as black and white, very static and boring. Not many changes and not much satisfaction is granted to me by the finishing of a JS project.

But it must be different for everyone I suppose. Is JS easier for you?

1 Like

Generally, I think most people find JS easier than CSS.

I think that JS is more exciting because it lets things change. CSS and HTML are much more static.

1 Like

Most programmers that I know would rather try to solve a JS bug than a CSS bug, but thereā€™s an obvious bias there. People become programmers because they enjoy solving problems programmatically the way that you do in a language like JS.

Some people are true CSS wizards and love fiddling with it. Theirs is a dark and mysterious power in my view :smiley:

2 Likes

@ArielLeslie @JeremyLT
I believe JS is easier. Just run the code. CSS is difficult because of its limitations: you often need to be creative to achieve exactly the result you want. JavaScript is more powerful so there is often a direct way to do what you want.

• CSS has no error report
  • Browser compatibility is the biggest problem in CSS, and is a nightmare for web designers in certain cases.
  • CSS selectors have different levels of weight/specificity, which could be confusing
  • website layout is crazy for me. I still donā€™t understand
  • there are 529 CSS properties (i think)
1 Like

Oh, i see. Thatā€™s strange. I always found the rules of css so simple while the ones for JS so over my head.

I love CSS. I suppose thatā€™s rare then. I didnā€™t realize that.

Gee, it might just mean you are probably smarter than me cuz JS is haaaard.

1 Like

CSS takes practice to get good.

JS takes practice to get good.

Being good at one, the other, or both means you have worked at it. It doesnā€™t mean you are preternaturally smart or something like that.

3 Likes

What exactly of JS do you find harder?

1 Like

Everything. I forget as soon as I learn it. I understand nothing because I can not see a visible change within 30 seconds while iā€™m working.

1 Like

I understand. Thatā€™s the same for programming languages like Kotlin, Javas, and Swift

1 Like

console.log() and debugging tools help you see what has changed.

1 Like

The hardest part of CSS for me is layout. Still havenā€™t mastered it. I wish I knew it better.

1 Like

I donā€™t get console.log. I canā€™t figure out what iā€™m supposed to console.log to see results. Plus, itā€™s very tedious.

1 Like

A lot of the development process is extremely tedious.

2 Likes

I use console.log to debug every time after I process a variable:

Oh, I see. For me thatā€™s almost instinct. Also, to learn css, I watched and followed along with tons of tutorials and made tons of fun and often useless stuff. It was so much fun! And thatā€™s how I figured out layout and all.

1 Like

When you want to see what is stored inside a variable, you console.log(myVar). Thatā€™s all thatā€™s going on there.

Software development is tedious. It requires long periods of time focusing on small details. That has nothing to do with any specific language.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very true. You got that right.

1 Like