Languages to compliment Python?

What are some languages that I can study that would compliment or would just be the natural languages to learn after Python?

Would it depend on my specialty? I know knowing only Python and nothing else probably wouldn’t be the best route so I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on what to study together or after studying it.

web development: javascript, sql

data science: R

yup, depends on what you’re focus is. If youre comfortable with python and you’re curious about other languages it might be worth it to just start tinkering with other languages like javascript, ruby, java or even C++

IMHO:

coffeescript is abse Python look llike,
but run as node.js,
can try it atfirst.

Python, JavaScript, and Ruby are all loosely similar to each other in a certain general sense—all of them are interpreted, dynamically typed, and have some “lexical” similarities to each other. Personally I’d suggest not wasting your time learning JavaScript or Ruby next for the reason that they have more similarities to Python than differences, even though both are very popular for Web development. You can always learn them later, but I’d sooner suggest other alternatives.

I’d recommend:

• C, C++, C#, or Java (take your pick): These languages are all statically typed and with the exception of Java, are compiled as well (although C# is “JIT-compiled”). A statically-typed compiled language will force you to program in some very different ways than you would in a dynamically-typed interpreted language, and will also force you to learn more about how the computer works. C is a particularly great language for understanding how the computer and memory works. Or you could alternately go with C# or Java, both of which are popularly used by large enterprises (C# is part of Microsoft’s stack with .NET, while Java is more agnostic).

• Elm, Haskell, Clojure, Scala, or Erlang/Elixir: Because Python is also a language that supports the OOP paradigm (although not strictly like C# and Java do), you might consider learning a language that follows a different paradigm, like functional programming. These languages all fully support the functional paradigm, and although each one is very niche, they’re all certainly used in industry. Scala is popularly used by Twitter, for example.

• Rust or Golang: These are admittedly pretty niche languages, but they’ve been gaining more traction in very recent years. Might be worth learning if you’re intent on keeping up to date with the latest languages.

Also, keep in mind that my recommendations here are only meant to round out your knowledge of programming languages academically, and not as much for practical job purposes if you’re looking for a job. Because if you’re looking for a job, my recommendations would change.