Laptop specs for beginner

Hi guys,

I’m about to buy my a new laptop to attend a web developer course. Speaking with my friend of mine he recommend me a Lenovo Thinkpad L15 gen 1 with the following specs:

Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (1.60GHz, up to 4.20GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 6MB Cache)
16GB DDR4 3200MHz SoDIMM
256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, OPAL2.0, TLC

So far so good and I’m happy with the above but I’d like your point of view anyway…the doubt is about the display mainly, which i can choose between:

15.6" HD(1366x768) TN Anti-Glare 220nits Non-Touch
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300nits Touch

The second one is £60 more expensive, but reading online I started doubting that a better resolution would be a better choice, what do you think?

Thank you guys!

For laptops, the biggest factor for the screen is total size. The resolution is not as big of a deal.

Yeah, the specs look pretty good to me. The only thing is that I might want to double the size of the hard drive, but 256 could probably work too.

Like Jeremy says, the size of the screen is what matters. But then I see people developing on little 13" screens - they just get really good at swiping between windows. Me, I’m old and I like screen real estate. My laptop is 17", which is nice, but it is a little big and heavy which some people don’t like. At work they gave me a 15" but it’s often a moot point because it’s almost always plugged into a couple monitors.

Thinkpads with TN displays are usually bought by IT departments to give to employees they hate.

1366x768 TN on 15" will be awful. Just go to any brick’n’mortar store and check for yourself - better if you can put TN and IPS side by side and see the difference in observation angles.

Source: I’ve personal Thinkpad T430 with 1600x900 TN and work T480 FHD IPS (both 14").

Thank you very much for your help!! Would be a laptop that you recommend in the end? I’m happy to hear your advises if you think i should go for something different instead of this one! thanks!

For web development used business class (T or X series) Thinkpad would be enough.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T450-CORE-I5-5TH-8-GB-SSD-Full-HD-IPS-windows-10/124227546088
Plus new battery or PD powerbank (~80 GBP) and you’ll save yourself 600 quid.

The overall specs look fine enough for programming.

I’d go for the larger resolution touch screen which will allow you to see more pixels and thus more “stuff” at the same time. The touch screen isn’t really important, but the increased resolution is nice.

However, increased resolution isn’t a huge issue when writing code. If anything it will make “splitting” your screen and looking at 2 columns of code harder, but this isn’t a deal breaker.

As someone who has programed on any number of screen resolutions over time, I’d say it isn’t that noticeable if you are on a tight budget. However I personally don’t like 15 inch laptops due to their portability. (I’m more of a 13 inch laptop guy)

This is definitely more of a personal choice. Goodluck!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, circumstances made me go for: “Lenovo ThinkBook 15 20SM002QUK Core i7-1065G7 16GB 512GB SSD 15.6IN FHD Win 10 Home” , just wanted to thank you again for your help! cheers!

1 Like