Learning Javascript but get lost

Problem: I have finished one-third of “Basic Javascript” in free code camp but totally get lost now.

Reason of problem: There are instructions and examples, I could follow them, but I don’t know why I should learn, how they are useful. Lots of dots, but cannot draw a line. Feeling is like, a painting teacher asks me to follow him, but I don’t know what is the picture i am going to paint.

Background: I am a programming beginner, i am ok with html/css and bootstrap in Free Code Camp, not learned other languages.

My questions:

1/ May I have some advice?
2/ Shall I stop or keep going with Free Code Camp?
3/ People recommend this course, shall I learn from here instead?

Thank you so much!

I also had the same thing first time.Then I finished Udacity intro to JS and after I came back here and feel myself more confident

1 Like

Okay, I have been through this phase a lot of times. Maybe I could help a little. Let me try and answer your questions one at a time:

1. There are instructions and examples, I could follow them, but I don’t know why I should learn, how they are useful?
When we tend to focus on why we are doing whatever we are, the right question to ask yourself is "Is learning ‘this’ exactly what I ‘want’ to learn right now?". If there’s no willpower, the reasons to do something get smaller and smaller. So let us assume that you have a genuine interest in learning JS, which takes us to the next question:

2. Lots of dots, but cannot draw a line. The feeling is like, a painting teacher asks me to follow him, but I don’t know what is the picture I am going to paint.
If you do have a genuine interest, then you should consider “What javascript can do that plain web scripting cannot?”. If you trust your painting teacher that he/she is not going to lead you in the wrong direction, then you should probably continue following him/her till a part of the painting finishes. Just sit, breathe, and follow. If the JS module finishes and you have absolutely no idea why you did whatever you did. Try completing the projects on your own, and you’ll get to know where and how javascript actually helps.
for example :
If I have to show 20 lines with the same text in HTML:

<div id="looper">
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>
<p> Hi there! </p>...... till 20 lines are complete
</div>

We can substitute this with simple javascript code:

for (i = 0; i < 20; i++){
document.getElementById('looper').innerHTML += "<p> Hi there! </p>";
}

Though this code might be a little buggy but I guess you get the idea. You get to know about the small dots one at a time, and when you do the projects, you will be able to understand how one larger/tougher/complex thing can be done in an easy way.
Plus you can always post your code on the forum and ask for explanations or how you could have done it in a different way. I know what getting lost feels like, but you have and entire FCC community to help you out here!!

May I have some advice?
I guess you should first ask yourself whether you want to learn this or not and why? Even if you don’t, logics and coding are always going to help you out. As Steve Jobs used to say : "Everybody in this country should learn to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think

Shall I stop or keep going with Free Code Camp?
This is up to you to decide. I used to be one of the “depressed developers” before joining FCC. Everything for me has changed since I have been here. Hope you find out the same for you, but you will have the community always there for a constructive feedback and support.

People recommend this course, shall I learn from here instead?
I have seen people recommend this course that you’ve mentioned, and people who have recommended FCC. Everyone is going to recommend something new or different that they have tried, and it is… going to get you into more and more dilemma as you have more and more things to think about. Instead, if you have started your engines here, try completing a module with the projects and then it is up to you to decide whether you should continue or not.

I hope this will help you. FCC is an awesome and transforming place, but you need to hold. Be patient, all good things take time.

1 Like

Dear AdityaOli,

Your advice is helpful, thank you for your kindness!

1 Like

Hey Ching,

I wanted to say I am in the same boat but maybe even behind you. I can go through the tutorials, understand it, and when I want to do a coding project I just forget. I think I have to start over and attempt a different approach of writing notes or translating that into an app/project idea right away.

after learning javascript basics what next should i focus on