Worried about not being able to learn JavaScript

I have just recently found freeCodeCamp and man am I glad I did. I am amazed that I just now found it since I have been working with html, css and JavaScript for years now and have done probably hundreds of searches on these topics but freeCodeCamp never came up until recently.

I am pretty comfortable with html and css but for some reason I have never been able to learn JavaScript. I have started reading several books and always stop because the information just doesn’t seem to stick in my brain. I can’t explain why I have so much trouble with it but I am afraid it will happen again and I don’t want to quit on this.

I have a bachelors degree in business administration with an emphasis in computer information systems but I graduated back in 2001 and most of what I learned I have forgot. I wonder if anyone else has had a hard time with JavaScript and if so how did you finally learn it. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Follow the curriculum in order. Take as long as you need on each challenge to really understand what you’ve done so far. Ask the community for help, advice, or just to be a sounding board as you work through the process. It’s not a magical ability that you either have or lack. It’s a practiced skill.

5 Likes

I was feeling the same way! I had so much trouble with javaScript that got me to a point of quitting fcc couple of times, but after listening to a #codenewbie podcast i realized that i had to “learn how to learn” and by that i mean that no matter how well a code is explained in writing when it comes to learning a topic, videos are my way to go. So, i will take an extra step and recommend to you to try it too. I Tried The Complete Node.js development course by Andrew Mead and learned a lot as a beginner, including how to setup my working enviroment for production and creating a bunch of apps. Givit a try if it doesn’t hurt you economically and you wont regret it, since you can apply the same principles to the fcc challenges.

1 Like

This reminds me of one of my favorite Dune quotes:

Muad’Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It’s shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.

2 Likes

@Ghouleo take a look at this posting from #Quincy

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-common-to-try-a-program-like-FreeCodeCamp-and-learn-that-coding-isnt-for-you-but-another-role-on-a-technology-team-is-tester-support-etc

1 Like