Making money while learning

Hi guys, I joined fcc in 2015. This is the best thing to happen to me in a while. It’s been a really fun journey so far. After years of trying to learn coding on my own and constantly jumping from one resource to another in the internet, fcc saved me.
But the problem is that I really need to earn a little bit of money while learning how to code. I would have finished the 3 fcc certs if I had focused on coding everyday, but this has been virtually impossible. I had to take up a job 6 months ago which had made me have little or no time for coding. It is really annoying. I just want to wake up every morning and code.
I am virtually done with my front end cert, working through the data viz cert and also working on the back-end cert.
I need tips on how to make money with my current skills online as working offline where I am is practically impossible. I’ll be comfortable earning $10 daily.

1 Like

I understand. I suggest getting a night shift job where little or nothing is required of you, so that you can study coding while you’re there.

There are absolutely many, many ways to study without internet access, if I am correctly interpreting your statement. Just a few examples: download videos to your computer, read books, download jQuery and other libraries, run JS in browser console, open tabs to read later.

1 Like

[flashes back to his 20’s]

Start applying for front end development jobs.

1 Like

He certainly could, but my suggestion was based on my assumption that he is sure he wants to continue studying before applying for coding jobs. However, taking the time to apply for and find a night shift job is time that could be spent on more worthwhile endeavors. All depends on one’s life circumstances and priorities.
[is in her 20s]

Totally. I didn’t mean to imply yours was a bad suggestion - it is what I was doing with my life until recently, after all. I just thought I’d throw out the most obvious answer. Some people think they need to prepare endlessly.

4 Likes

(If it wasn’t obvious, totally what I’m currently doing.) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. But night shift jobs are practically non existent where I am from. I would prefer online jobs.

You could try Upwork. I don’t have any experience with it, but if you’re tenacious, you could probably make some money.

1 Like

There are also Freelancer.
and Truelancer.

I believe they operate the same way as Upwork does. I unfortunately do not have very much experience with any of the sites, but apparently it is possible to make a decent - a substantial amount of money from freelancing, if you are vigilant.

Before using freelance sites, read the linked thread, especially @p1xt’s comments so you can at least go in with your eyes open:

2 Likes

Try fiver.com or Textbroker.com
Also Uber or Lyft Driver can work.

Honestly, I love getting jobs like they mentioned: where you have very little to do, and lots of time to do other stuff online! While putting myself through school, I had simple jobs at registers, which only had a few customers throughout the day & few responsibilities. That way, I made an hourly wage, and I used the rest of the time to study! These days, you can probably even borrow their wifi…
:wink:

2 Likes

where can one apply for front end development jobs? I prefer to work remotely too.

2 Likes

You can try the freelance sites suggested above, as well as the usuals - weworkremotely, authenticjobs, or Indeed.com, et al.

Really, just stay away from monster.com and be very careful if you go into Craigslist territory. Keep in mind that you may prefer to work remotely, but those jobs are not easy to get.

2 Likes

I’ve made a decent amount of money just building small websites for people , usually Wordpress. Once i started learning to code I started telling everyone that I can build websites and before long I had friends referring clients to me. There’s probably a lot of people around you who have work for you, you just have to put yourself out there.

3 Likes

I’ve tried this way and even earned a little money. But I was feeling stuck in it :frowning:
All my time was filled with simple tasks with HTML/CSS or setting up CMS or even doing some SEO :smiley: This is a good way to make a portfolio, but in my opinion it should be only “warming up” before applying a really good job :wink:

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound too bad at all, freelancing for a living might not be the best goal to pursue, but some extra money and validation wouldn’t hurt.
Tell us more :smiley: - did you have to specifically learn about Wordpress (seems upwork.com is absolutely filed with Wordpress work) or some other specific things, or was the knowledge picked up along the fcc journey enough to eventually get started freelancing?

2 Likes

Actually, one of my goals is to work remotely :slight_smile: No matter, freelance or work for company.
I’ve learned everything by doing. I’ve said “yes, I can” and then immediately started googling “how to”. Now I have to drive cab for living (my “freelance” is not enough for living at all), but I hope that it’s possible to start coding this year with no need to have a side job. Taxi is killing so much time (at least it gives enough money).
My previous experience in web development was just playing with HTML/CSS in school years. I also did some websites on free hosting (forums, blogs) using different CMS. When I retired from office and decided to go into modern web development a year ago, I’ve seen the web is so complicated now that I had to learn from scratch :slight_smile:
Honestly, FCC gave me the biggest motivation and knowledge about how to “Read-Search-Ask”. I’m here since July’16 :wink: But I’ve never “asked”, because “search” was always enough. Only today I wrote my 1st post here :slight_smile: Coding is not popular among my friends and I have nobody to talk about code in real :frowning:
P. S. English is not my native language - sorry for mistakes :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes, I too have earned money with word press websites while I learn to code. I haven’t tried thumbtack but I hear its a good place to get business. But it costs 30.00 to bid on a client that you many not get. Also, beware of scammers. I have had about 10 occasions where someone emails me and wants me to build a website for them, but they can’t use paypal or square. They are very specific in the website build they need, so I thought it was legit. I was wrong! They wanted to send me a check for over the amount and for me to send the balance to their “logo” guy. Watch out for these people. But back to making money, I have found plumbers, mom and pop shops need websites and someone that they can trust. So I have had some good results with them. Best of luck.
Cheers.

1 Like

Try working as a freelance. It’s a very nice job because you can work whenever you want, wherever you are and you don’t have to go out from your house. The most exciting thing is that you always have something new to do, never get bored.