Native vs. Web vs. Hybrid Apps

What is the Difference between Native vs. Web vs. Hybrid Apps?

Native apps are written directly in top of native APIs. They can normally access the system directly (so all the functionality available on Windows for Windows app, all the functionality on IOS for IOS apps, wtc), and are normally written in the main programming language of the system (so, one of the .Net supported languages for Windows, C/C++ for Linux, Swift for OSX/IOS, Java or Kotlin for Android). So most of the apps on your phone or computer are this.

Web apps are apps that run in a web browser. Web browsers are sandboxed: they cannot access the system directly. That means they can’t do things like view the file system. And they have memory restrictions native apps don’t have. Written in HTML/CSS/JS.

Hybrid apps are a kind of nebulous term for web app frameworks (normally aimed at mobile) that include stuff to interface with the system APIs to let your apps do things like access the filesystem. Apache Cordova would be an example. Written in HTML/CSS/JS, with extensions in the native languages, packaged using a framework. They’re less popular than they were because stuff like React Native and Flutter and Electron exist (and probably stuff built on top of Webview APIs, going forward)

2 Likes

Hey!
Thanks for your reply!
Will you please let me know which one is better to choose for a business or a startup, Hybrid or Native App?

I’m afraid that question doesn’t make sense, you don’t pick the technologies like that, there isn’t a “best”

I’d choose hybrid. To know more you can read this article. To cut a long story short actually you don’t need a complex and expensive app for business startup. However if you need such one you can always to modernize your app according your actual and further needs to native

1 Like