New Responsive Web Design

I’m new to freecodecamp and starting on new responsive web design. Sometimes I feel like there’s something I missed before starting here. Some of the step instructions don’t include directons for things I don’t recall learning. I’ve just been researching here and online to figure it out. Is this the norm?

1 Like

Welcome to our community!

Give us an example in sense of the challenge and the issue that haven’t been explained earlier in the course.

Hi lowman05 can I help you by a advice, As a new learner on FreeCodeCamp, it is common to feel like you may have missed something before starting a new responsive design project. It’s also common to encounter step instructions that don’t include directions for concepts you don’t recall learning. However, this is not something to worry about.
Learning web development can be overwhelming, especially when you’re just starting out. It’s important to remember that you don’t have to know everything before starting a project. As you work on your project, you will encounter new concepts and challenges that will require you to research and learn more. This is a normal part of the learning process.
FreeCodeCamp is designed to guide you through the process of learning web development by providing you with projects, challenges, and resources to help you learn and grow. If you encounter a concept that you’re not familiar with, you can always do some research online to learn more. There are many resources available online, including blogs, forums, and tutorials, that can help you learn and understand new concepts.
Overall, don’t be discouraged if you feel like you’ve missed something before starting a project. Keep learning, experimenting, and exploring, and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a skilled web developer.

1 Like

Example: “Add a viewport definition with a content attribute detailing the width and initial-scale of the page.” It turned out that initial scale should equal 1.0 and width=device-width. It’s very possible that it was covered in a previous exercise, and I just didn’t remember it. I just want to make sure I’m starting in the right place.

Unlike other platforms, on the fCC you will need from time to time (although it is recommended all the time) to research on the Web to get more examples and detailed explanations on some topics and challenges your encounter. It is the natural approach to the learning process. This way you will get valuable resources for later projects. All courses that ask you only to blindly follow the instructions, without thinking about what is going on behind the solution, are the certain road to get more confused over time. Yes, you will have to research to get a clearer picture of some subjects. Some of them have lots of different applications, and it is impossible to explain all of them in one challenge, or it is impractical from the users’ point of view to spend a lot of time just to pass one challenge. In short, as time goes by, you will be more acquainted with the process of learning on fCC, and learn easier and faster. Each beginning is tough. What counts, in the end, is how much you have learned.

1 Like

FYI, the viewport meta element was first introduced in Learn Basic CSS by Building a Cafe Menu Step 17.

1 Like

Thanks for accepting my suggestion.