Options for building a web app with blog features (Please no Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla)

I am being asked to build a website for a realtor. They don’t want it to have a search feature as they are an apartment locator but what they do want is website with a blog feature, and the ability to put featured apartments that they can switch in and out of.

Eventually they want to make it more complex and little more data driven. I have built countless larval projects and mean stack applications but I since I am too close to them it may be helpful to hear opinions on what would be the quickest/ more feasible route to take.

I’d prefer suggestions outside of CMS like Wordpress and Drupal because I am mostly a JS and Laravel developer and also and not a fan of someone of the cms practices. Also, other frameworks or stacks are welcome.

Thanks

As @camperextraordinaire said, you don’t need a framework for this. A simple CRUD database admin can take care of this.

A problem with database-driven template/blog pages is every page starts to look the same, and only the main photos look different. But end-users/clients are usually not HTML versed and we can’t expect them to learn html just to update their page or customize the look of their page.

On one client, I made them several CUSTOM-TAGS they can insert anywhere on their text/copy, that way they can customize the look of their content page without knowing a bit of HTML. They just insert the tags as plain text in their copy.

Example:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed pretium,
accumsan, tortor enim mattis diam, in molestie quam nisi vel urna. [YOUTUBE=abcdefg,align=left,width=400]Curabitur velit metus, mollis quis enim eget, mattis semper risus. Proin
consequat arcu et tellus commodo faucibus quis nec ante. Mauris
suscipit dignissim finibus.

To display a bootstrap slideshow on their page, they just insert (using ID# of photos they uploaded)
[SLIDESHOW=111,222,333,444,555]

To display an embedded Vimeo video:
[VIMEO=983738476]

Display a youtube video, with ID#
[YOUTUBE=1234567]

[PULLQUOTE@left@400px=This is a quote from some famous person]

[PHOTO=123456@right@400px=This is caption under this right aligned photo sized to 400pixels width]

Display other pages related to this page, using page id#
[RELATEDSTORIES=11111,2222,33333,44444]

You get the idea…

1 Like