Other Resources to Fill in the Gaps

Let me start by saying I have absolutely ZERO background in anything coding/programming/computer science. The HTML/CSS was the first thing I’ve ever tried. Now I’m going through the ES6 section of the basic ass JavaScript course and I’ve realized more and more things are popping up that aren’t mentioned before and require outside research.

Example: in the Use Destructuring Assignment with the Rest Parameter to Reassign Array Elements challenge, out of nowhere it references Array.prototype.slice()

Whatever this is hasn’t been mentioned before so I know I have to do some googling - so my main question as a newbie is, are there any sites/libraries recommended for looking these types of things up?

Googling has been taking me to w3schools.com most consistently but I don’t feel like I fully understand their explanations.

Also, should I give up and just get a real estate license?

MDN is more or less the gold standard for documentation, but it’s written for a pretty technical audience. It’s a good source to look at, but in some cases you may find that it doesn’t offer the explanation you need. W3Schools can be hit and miss. I’m not a big fan of them as a primary teaching source, but their “Try it yourself” widgets can be super helpful. On the whole though, googling around is one of the skills that you develop as you’re learning to program. You learn how to phrase a search query and how to quickly skim results to see if they’re what you need. It’s a skill that will serve you throughout your life as a developer.

I mean, up to you. I always thought that selling houses would be kind of cool. But if you’re feeling discouraged because this is hard for you, then be assured that it is actually hard! Some things just take a lot of work to build skills and experience in.

3 Likes

Hi @thecrackerjaps !

I was the same way when I first started.
My background is in music. :grinning:

Some of the sections are going to be a little tricky to wrap your head around.
Some of the sections will require extra research.

My advice is to take it slow and ask questions on what you don’t understand.

Here are some extra resources you can look into.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

ES6 section comes a bit ahead of its time and even few certificates ahead you can find yourself occasionally going back to review it. My advise is, dont take it as a requirement to learn and udnerstand whats listed there. Go thru the topics and see what you can take, what you cannot at the current moment, leave for later, make a note, its there and when you actually need it, go back to learn it. For example classes, or import methods. Read those and become acquianted with the topics, but only later you will be able to adopt them in your skills, after you get familiar with object oriented programing(regarding classes), which is later in the same curriculum, or after you start working with files and import/export parts of your code(which will happen at unknown point in your progress :slight_smile: ). I personally started working with environement like VS Code only quite late in my learning, which is where i had to become able to write my program into files and manipulate them.

1 Like

I’m not sure why we still treat ES6 as special. ES6 was 2015. ES6 is just Javascript unless you’re working in an archaic codebase.

3 Likes

in the curricullum, ES6 content comes before the “student” has been introduced to the more basic solutions. We feed them class syntax when they are not familiar with object oriented programing, how to define contructor function, or advanced use of funcitons when they have little clue of functional programming and all they know is how to define a regular function, without much practice with advanced examples, or even promises and asynchronous actions. IIRC there was even an example with reduce, which method is explained few sections ahead. At this point people dont even know what ‘mehtod’ stands for.
I remember my own confusion when i learned by that section and im not surprised it regularly comes in the forums as point of struggle. It seirously needs to be pulled further in the order of learning.

Functional methods are not covered in the ES6 section though… There may be user suggested solutions that use some more advanced syntax, but that has nothing to do with the actual content of the section.

There are two lessons on class syntax that would be a better fit for the OOP section, but most of the rest of the lessons are just alternate syntax for things that the learners already know about. ES6 is just modern Javascript syntax.

1 Like

im sorry for going off-topic. but here is few examples of challenges which utilize techniques covered only later in the course.

The concise declarative function lesson includes a method and the this keyword for an example. Both those techniques are introduced much later in the curriculum.

This destructuring-rest parameter lesson uses Array.prototype.slice() in its challenge description, but slice and prototype are described in the respective array section of the curriculum at later stage.

Here, another lesson regarding the rest parameter, reduce is injected in the challenge itself.

I bet you that majority of users are forced to look up the solutions and copy/paste them without truly being able to comprehand how the solution is created, or becoming able to come up with it themselves
If its such a hard task to render the ES6 section without the use of techniques part of later sections, maybe its for best it be pulled to a later stage

There shouldn’t be a separate ES6 section. ES6 is just Javascript.

Some users choose to copy, but they are never forced to do so. The forum exists provide people with a place to ask questions so they aren’t “forced” in any way to blindly copy-paste.