Our expanded curriculum is now live on beta.freecodecamp.com and we need your help QA'ing it

I jumped ship to the beta even though I’d almost finished the front-end certificate because the topics looked great. I’ve been going through challenges and raising little issues here and there - but just wanted to say a big thank you to all the developers for the staggering amount of time that went (and continues to go) into this. Loved the sections on Flexbox and CSS animation, really like how its organized - so glad I took the leap and looking forward to forging ahead.

1 Like

I’ve been working through Beta challenges (specifically the Javascript Algo & Data section), and I’ve noticed that the output box doesn’t actually display the result of your code.

It essentially just shows messages that repeat the required test parameters that aren’t yet passing.

This makes it a little more difficult to figure out a solution. It’s hard to determine where you’re going wrong when you can’t see what your code is doing.

Maybe I’m missing something, but it’s been a little frustrating.

BUT I am loving the beta curriculum, I’m learning so much!! Thanks for all of your hard work putting this together.

1 Like

I am in love with Beta . What should I do? lol…

Hey Brittany. If there isn’t already a GitHub Issue for that, could you please create one?

I’ve wasted hours troubleshooting, here to find out there were no problems. It was something wrong with the FCC editor. I would clear my code in the editor, redo it and it would pass. This worked for most challenges but not all. I found doing the exercises on an offline editor (Atom, VSCode, Sublime, etc) or in CodePen saved me a lot of time. Remember Beta progress won’t be saved, so doing the exercises in your own editor or CodePen will make it easier to transfer over when beta goes live.

1 Like

I’ve been using the beta and like it. However sometimes I try to run code and get ‘something went wrong’ or my code will not pass the test, when it is correct, and I reload the page and it works.

1 Like

I notice that Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit in Basic JavaScript is not included in beta. Shall I report it as a bug?

When I’ve finished a part and proceed to the next one, the code is not pre-rendered in the phone on the right. So before I’m going to write some code I have to press “run tests(ctrl+enter)” to see what I’m working with. Does this happen to anyone else?

I practice the beta version partly, find some mistakes and want to provide feedback. Not sure where I should do that. Here?
Perhaps related, I didn’t really understand the request for QA help? Are you requesting it from everyone, or only from experienced coders? What should we QA, and where should we suggest it?

Free Code Camp uses GitHub Issues to log and track bugs. If you find a bug in either Beta or the production site, please log it there (or add any relevant information to the Issue if it has already been reported by another user).

1 Like

I think it was moved due to feedback about it being too high-level of concepts for where it is in the current curriculum.

Hi Carben, you can click the “bug” button and follow the instructions there. We are using GitHub issues to track issues with beta.

1 Like

Hi ! Yes, it’s happens to me every time: on a new exercise, I see my changes from the previous exercise. So I have to run the tests to see the correct display on mobile in relation with the current exercise. Hoping “Try again” layers are not counted ^^

Just started with the beta curriculum (after finishing the front end certification) and I like it even I don’t know how I feel about the new testing suites. Currently reading https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/blob/staging/CONTRIBUTING.md#contribution-guidelines to fix some minor issues I found so far (missing spaces, double spaces, missing “px” :sweat_smile:). I am also really excited to build the new projects but I was wondering…

@QuincyLarson Am I right to believe ALL completed projects (current curriculum) will be counted as such when beta goes into production … even if they don’t pass the new testing suites?

eg. My “Build a Tribute Page” fulfils all current user stories but won’t pass the new testing. Will I need to rebuild this project to achieve the corresponding certificate?

Happens to me as well, I think the first 10 lessons worked, but after that, the phone preview has stopped working.

It’s a known bug and the exercises don’t run in their own environments either, which you can hit in the visualisation section.

Is there any clarity as to what will happen to the current earned certificates? Since they don’t completely overlap with the newer ones…

Certificates will still be on your account

You can begin the nonprofit work if you had all three of the original certificates

Why the certificates are changing

And it doesn’t even matter

9 Likes

I had an doubt.
I was working on FreeCodeCamp Old Cirriculum.
Now I am shifting to new.
Let us suppose I complete 2 of the 6 certificates before beta goes live .
And then the beta goes live. Will I be able to show those certificates or I have to copy paste the stuff on new live from old beta site?

@QuincyLarson

Just started working through the Beta lessons. I think it is an idea to see an example of the Box Model when you start to talk about margins, padding, and borders. If you could put a link in the directions it will help the visual learner understand the exactly what properties they are modifying.

So far, looks good.