10 major freeCodeCamp improvements that are live now

Our contributors have been hard at work on several major improvements to freeCodeCamp. And I’m thrilled to announce that all of the following improvements are now live on www.freecodecamp.org!

Improvement #1: More than 1,000 new coding challenges

We’ve retooled freeCodeCamp’s curriculum to emphasize fundamental software development skills and concepts:

• HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
  • Accessibility
  • Visual Design
  • Data Structures
  • Object-oriented Programming
  • Functional Programming
  • Debugging
  • Information Security
  • Testing

You’ll still learn specific tools like Node.js and React, but these appear further into our curriculum.

We recommend working through the curriculum in order from start to finish, but feel free to skip around if you just want to learn a specific skill.

Improvement #2: New Certifications

You can still claim all of the original 3 certifications (Front End, Back End, and Data Visualization) from the freeCodeCamp settings page. And now we also offer 6 new certifications.

Each of these new certifications has 5 required projects that you must complete. All the other coding challenges are optional, and serve to prepare you for these projects.

Improvement #3: Projects Now Have Test Suites

In the past, freeCodeCamp’s projects just had user stories. It was up to you to interpret these user stories and turn them into working features.

Now every required project on freeCodeCamp has its own suite of tests. These tests can help guide your coding. And you can run them to see whether your project is ready to submit.

You can include these test suites in your project by including a single line of JavaScript. This means you can build your projects anywhere: on CodePen, JSBin, Glitch, or right on your local computer. Our only requirement is that your projects have a publicly accessible URL on the web.

Improvement #4: Coding Interview Prep challenges

Thousands of people have asked for a section focused on coding interview preparation. So we’ve added hundreds of advanced algorithm and data structure challenges, and dozens of optional “take home projects” that you can build for practice.

Some of these challenges are extremely difficult, and will take even veteran programmers hours to complete.

Long after you’ve finished all of freeCodeCamp’s certifications, you can keep coming back and expanding your skills here.

Improvement #5: Enhanced Privacy Tools

You may have heard of GDPR - Europe’s new privacy laws. We are happy to report that we’re in full compliance with these.

You now have full control over what data you want shown on your public freeCodeCamp portfolio page.

You’ve always been able to delete your freeCodeCamp account in the settings page (and yes - this really deletes it from freeCodeCamp’s servers).

Now you also have the ability to completely reset your freeCodeCamp progress.

Improvement #6: Fully Customizable Portfolio Pages

Now you can add links to non-freeCodeCamp projects you’ve built, articles you’ve published, open source contributions, and links to anything you’re proud of.

You can add as much or as little as you want to your freeCodeCamp portfolio.

Improvement #7: Lightning Fast Learning Platform

We’ve rebuilt our learning platform from the ground up. Our full curriculum is now on the learn.freeCodeCamp.org subdomain. It’s a fast single-page web app with a clean, simple design.

Improvement #8: As-you-type Search

Now you can search through more than 8,000 freeCodeCamp lessons, articles, videos, and podcasts, right from freeCodeCamp’s navigation bar.

Improvement #9: Enhanced security with passwordless sign-in

Passwords are a pain to remember. And they’re also a huge security risk. More and more websites are getting rid of passwords completely. And freeCodeCamp is one of them.

Now when you sign in, we’ll email you a link you can click that will immediately sign you in to freeCodeCamp.

If you used to sign in using Google, Facebook, GitHub, Twitter, or LinkedIn, you will need to add your email address to your account here.

Improvement #10: Welcome dashboard

Each time you sign in to www.freeCodeCamp.org, you’ll be greeted with a Welcome dashboard with an inspiring quote and statistics about your progress through the freeCodeCamp curriculum.

There will be bugs - help us fix them by reporting them

We just pushed a ton of new code. Even though we tested it to the best of our ability, there will always be things we missed. You can track our open GitHub issues and create new issues here.

A quick note on challenge solutions

We have not lost any of your data. We have all your challenge solutions leading up to May 2018. We are working on a sustainable way to make these millions of solutions available (our solution database was growing by 1 gigabyte per day!) In the meantime, if you want to save your challenge solutions, I recommend copying and pasting them into files on your local computer, and - if you’re feeling adventurous - uploading your solutions to your own repository on GitHub :slight_smile:

Happy coding!

239 Likes

nice upgrade and update here

5 Likes

So is this the beta becoming the full curriculum?

4 Likes

Awesome! I’m excited to check out the new challenges and features.

8 Likes

I don’t get it.

How this post is 10 days ago while these improvements are supposed to be new?

4 Likes

I prepared the post 10 days ago and left it as unlisted so we could link to it from the welcome page :slight_smile:

9 Likes

So…let me confirm this for the last time, the new complete upgrade is live now in learn.fcc.com, right?

3 Likes

IMO the new design looks more cluttered and less modern than the old one

16 Likes

Omg, you’re right.

I finally sign in and glad with the new JS console(finally) but seriously? the website’s new design sucks and less modern, honestly imo.

6 Likes

Yes - this is the new curriculum. We are still refining it but we wanted to get it out.

6 Likes

Enter the code you recieved on your email.
Spotted a mispell mistake, it should be received.

2 Likes

Awesome set of updates you’ve got in the pipeline…I also just noticed the new E6 Javascript section, which I don’t recall seeing in the past. Bravo to FCC, you guys rock!

6 Likes

If you sign into www.freeCodeCamp.org it will show you a welcome page, which will redirect you to learn.freecodecamp.org. You should be able to sign into either.

6 Likes

You’re the best. Thanks for catching this typo!

4 Likes

It’s a work in progress. We welcome your feedback.

6 Likes

Is there a link or summary where we can see what the new Certifications are, and what topics in the curriculum we must learn/complete to obtain the certificates?

3 Likes

I was just about to start the TwitchTV API, is it no longer part of the curriculum?

3 Likes

Is there any option to revert to the previous layout?
Also… Where can I find the help and answer provided by the other uses to a challenge?

Thank you

8 Likes