"Practical" Caching 101 Help?

Hi all,
I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can about caching this past week for an application I’ve been working on and while there are many videos out there that are good at giving a theoretical overview of how it works, I’ve still found it difficult to know how to apply it in code. It seems like you have to have a good idea of what you want to do to be able to understand the examples out there but it feels a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendations for resources to better understand what caching looks like within an actual application beyond just turning it on/off in the browser?

Can you give us an idea of what you’re trying to accomplish? “Caching” is a general term, so it could mean a few different things.

Sure. I’m building a job archive application and when I load the page, I’m loading an x amount of jobs onto a kendo grid. I have it wired so that clicking on a page will return 50 jobs at a time as opposed to loading the total ~19,000. These 50 jobs are taking about 7 seconds to load though and my lead dev told me to implement caching and caching invalidation to remove the existing cache once the job is archived. My caching looks like it’s working and expires after 5 min, but I’m having trouble with caching invalidation. Just not sure where to start. (Got my first junior developer job in March)

Cool. I’ve never done anything like this before, so I’m really interested in finding the answer as well. I don’t have any resources for you, but maybe I could look at some of the material you’ve been learning from and help you figure out an answer? I don’t want you to have to waste time explaining what you’ve done, and I doubt you can share your code, but I’d be interested in seeing what you’ve learned so far.