Progress Journal (intro, goals, CC first impression, progress log, join in!)

Progress Journal (intro, goals, CC first impression, progress log, join in!)

Heyy there, my name is Becca, and I am starting this thread so that I can document my progress working through all of the codecamp tutorials. You are welcome to use it to do the same thing if you’d like to :slight_smile:

There are three reasons why I want to complete codecamp:

1. I want to be able to replace my amigurumi pattern and design tips website with one that I have coded myself (friendlyfoxamigurumi.com).
  2. I want to be able to design websites for people who are passionate about a skill and hobby that they want to share with the world, without them having to pay what they can’t afford for custom features.
  3. I am working towards developing a lifelong career as a full-stack web developer, because coding provides the perfect level of challenge and fun that would make that career a rewarding one for me.

A bit about where I am now:

Last year, I graduated with a first class degree in criminology in Wales. Then I moved to Scotland to start a masters degree, only to realise that I loved programming and designing toys more (a bit of an odd combination but one that is magical).

I first got into coding when I walked through the library one night after finishing a study session two years ago, and picked a completely random book to read for 20 mins before going home. The book I happened to choose was a GCSE book on computer science. The opening chapter taught us how to design an algorithm for making a cup of tea. Needless to say as a British person (obsessed with tea) I was hooked.

At the moment, I have just got a job (starting next month) as a customer service advisor at Amazon. For the last four years I have worked as a cashier, waitress or in some other customer service related role. I love talking to people but this isn’t the job I want, but it is helping me pay the bills while I work towards making this dream happen. I’m prepared to spend as long as it takes to get there.

Current Coding Experience:

Right now, my html and css skills are at an upper intermediate level. I am familiar with JavaScript syntax and
am at an intermediate level with Python, where I have made tons of little projects using the tkinter framework.

I would consider myself to be a deep learner. I have to understand why things behave the way they do, and love experimenting with things to see if I can find new uses for them. This means that when I complete a challenge, I then try and improve it in a little way using what I now so far, that is a technique that has worked really well for me so far.

Code Camp First Impressions

My first impression of codecamp is: YAYY STRUCTURE! :smile: I really love that there is a chronological order to the tasks, and that everything is explained in little bitesized chunks. I also love that it is interactive in everyway, which suits my learning style completely. I am excited to complete the whole course. I am a little skeptical that doing so will enable me to jump straight into a developer role, but am confident at least that this will be a positive learning experience in any case.

PROGRESS JOURNAL

Aim of progress journal:

-So that I can remind myself why i’m doing this
-So that there is a live example of how long this camp takes to complete and what comes of it.
-Hopefully so that other people can log their progress and keep each other motivated (maybe you could write a post that you continually edit with your progress too?)

Entry 1: Sunday 18th June 2017
hours spent: 10+ (a lot of free time right now and this has been addictive)

-completed HTML5 and CSS section
-completed Responsive Design with Bootstrap section
-working through jQuery section (gonna carry on today too)

Positives: My previous experience has made this easy.
Never done bootstrap before and found it really easy.
Love the font awesome icons!!!

Struggles: Only roadblock this session was where to put the i element on buttons for adding font awesome icons.
Overcame by playing around with placement until one worked. It worked.