Pomodoros are great but sometimes you don’t feel like doing the typical 25/5 cycle.
I was toying with the idea of a pomodoro timer that changes duration based on how I feel right now.
For example, if my motivation is not high (numerically, 1 for example), the timer will set the work duration to 2.5 minutes instead of 25 minutes. And when I work, I might realize I’m enjoying the work and I can then set a new motivation level. I can set it to 10 and work the normal 25 minutes for my next pomodoro.
The lowest motivation level is 0 which is equivalent to “not feeling like doing anything at all” and the corresponding duration is 1 minute. Anyone can do 1 minute of work. And more often than not, when you start working even if it’s for a short time, most likely you’ll realise that you feel much better about the work and want to work longer.
At least, that’s my justification. Maybe the fundamental idea is wrong so feel free to criticize and point out my mistakes.
Here’s the app: App.
And the repo: https://github.com/wanzulfikri/pomo-feeling
Built with React.
I haven’t fully tested the app but from my limited use, it works okay even on mobile. There’s definitely bugs that I haven’t seen; I appreciate it if you can tell me about them. The app is also limited in features eg no way to set custom work and break duration and the timer doesn’t run when the tab is in the background; I’ll see if I can add more improvements in the future.
Any feedback, critical or not, is highly appreciated.
Improvements made based on great feedback from the community
- Made the work-break flow continuous. It can be tedious to start the break manually.
- 1 minute is too little time to do anything worthwhile. I increased the minimum duration to 5 minutes.
- And if you feel up to the task aka greatly motivated, the highest setting is now set to 90 minutes.
- Display the work-break cycle after motivation level is selected
- Add a “skip” button to skip work or break.
- Now the break duration increases as the work duration increases.