Realistically speaking, what sort of career can a self-taught developer lead? (career ceiling)

Really? That may be your reason, but don’t impute that as a general. I am here specifically because I am passionate about both coding and teaching. Just saying, and just me.

I’ll stick to to the OP then, which is still about salary. What my original feelers were how much is the salary cap for a self-taught web dev and what kind of work/life experience could be expected.

1 Like

I’m sorry but that’s not true. If you choose to enter a field just for money, that’s fine, it is your choice. My experience is that these people do not last long in the field.

1 Like

I’m sorry but that’s not true. If you choose to enter a field just for money, that’s fine, it is your choice. My experience is that these people do not last long in the field.

For perspective, what is it about it coding that make you passionate about it that is not equally as true of less financially lucrative careers?

1 Like

I do not know why your source of earnings has to be related to your passion they can be two different entities. Jobs in this field can be stressful I do agree with you. As a person who worked in 3 different industries already, I do not see my past jobs as less stressful. I also know people working in different industries. I do not know why you gotta make this industry sound so special in turns of stress. Not trying to be rude but with this kind of comments you are discouraging people. If they are here for the money let them work on it if they give up they will give up. If they will makes it for the money they will make it. Not everyone works the same way.

1 Like

At this point, I’m going to suggest that this either be ended or moved to a private conversation. Opinions are all valid, and all subjective. Your reasons for this journey are your own, and if you find yourself questioning if this is the best route, then perhaps its time to explore other options. You’re right – there are other ways to make the same or better money.

Each of us will have a reason to do what we do. If your reasons work for you, and you’re ok with those reasons, then yes. You can do well. Your reasons don’t motivate me, never have. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Making money could be some peoples passion btw XD

1 Like
  • very analytical
  • short gratification cycles
  • very creative
  • open for all to learn
  • you can easily work remote
  • you don’t have to work full-time to have good earnings
2 Likes

I recently look for an interview at a legal firm that are looking forward to automate a lot of their process with new developed tools. Choosing to be a developer opens the door to a lot of industries. I’m just saying that you could have the best of both worlds.

Your question about the money you could make is already answered. I will only add that I have many friends that dropped university and are working as Developers and Designers in Google, LinkedIn and other big companies. In the Technology field people usually prefer someone capable that someone with a Bachelors Degree and interviews are hard enough to make sure they hire the correct one.

As many have pointed out, people who learn to code for the money do not last long in the industry. And what you say is not true. Many coders in the industry are passionate people in what they do and there is hard evidence online that proves this.

Just take a look at medium blog posts that people have written or open source projects that people have contributed, no one gets paid to do it, but people do it because they love to code. More recently, competitive programming has been on a rise as a sport which many people do for fun.

I suggest that you should go out and talk to actual people who work or code in the field as compared to looking at statistics. No doubt there will always be people who just want the money for coding but those are a minority. Most of the people I spoke or work with are really passionate about programming.

This is my opinion but I will be brute honest that your mentality for looking at the job for a high pay will lead to your downfall, I have seen many people who have the same mentality and they end up being miserable even with a decent or well-paid job.

To me, being happy with what you do is more important than the pay you have. Having enough to get by and living the simple life does not mean your life will be miserable. We are going to spend most of our lives in our jobs, and whether that job can spark joy depends on whether you love what you do every day.

FYI, I turned down offers relating to cybersecurity which pays more than web developers by 10x in the long run and decided to pursue web development instead because I rather do the things I like to do. So do not assume people pick careers based on money.

Even in other careers like doing bakery, designers etc needs a passion in order to be successful.

1 Like

“My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don’t deny it. I’d rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh — anything but work.”

― Abraham Lincoln

2 Likes

Interesting that an article on Medium about this very thing popped up in my email this morning, given that we had this conversation yesterday.

Not saying that the view of the writer is universal, it is her reason for coding. It does, however, resonate quite deeply with me.

I am so happy for you man that you found something that deeply resonate with you! Its an amazing feeling when it happens.

you can go from 0 to 15000000% . you’re the only real variable you can control in all this. so put iin the time and you can be at Apple, Google or whatever in 5 years.

1 Like

Best answer so far :smiley:

I suggest you taking pause and thinking about following questions: What you really like and want to do? What seems more attractive: to sell your time doing things that you don’t like in order to earn “respectable salary” or to devote your life to things that are interesting and important to you? Is it really a “disservice to yourself and your family” if your career doesn’t lead to money? Does your family really want you the life of that 80 - 90% of people?

Your observations about “reality of life” apply not only to US, but to my country too, and, I suspect, to most of the countries. I entered the field exactly for the reasons of money and managed to get appropriate level of financial independence. But now I am asking myself questions similar to those above.

The real issue is not so much about what one likes or doesn’t like – as this entire thread has shown, some of us just like to code, while others of us like the money to be made by coding (without necessarily liking the coding bit).

Ones reasons for making this choice are one’s own, but so long as you are willing to accept that your reasons are valid, and willing to work for those reasons, then there’s very little difference in terms of career cap between a traditionally-taught coder, and a self-taught one.

As many have pointed out, people who learn to code for the money do not last long in the industry.

100% of wealthy coders I know do it exclusively for the money. All of these blogs, articles etc. are just exercises to improve their own coding and one-up their competition.

To me, being happy with what you do is more important than the pay you have. Having enough to get by and living the simple life does not mean your life will be miserable. We are going to spend most of our lives in our jobs, and whether that job can spark joy depends on whether you love what you do every day.

It’s been scientifically proven if you make less than 75k a year, you are almost always less happy than a rich person. After 75k you see the same effects after you double the salary.

FYI, I turned down offers relating to cybersecurity which pays more than web developers by 10x in the long run and decided to pursue web development instead because I rather do the things I like to do. So do not assume people pick careers based on money.

You will sincerely regret this decision in your elder years as every older person I have talked to has.

2 Likes

Notice how you never see these cutesy articles for less lucrative professions?

Nobody “janitors” or “plumbers” because the pipes or trash understand them.

What you really like and want to do?

I really like money, and I like having money.

to sell your time doing things that you don’t like in order to earn “respectable salary” or to devote your life to things that are interesting and important to you?

Considering 90% of people do the former, probably that.

Is it really a “disservice to yourself and your family” if your career doesn’t lead to money?

Yup.

Does your family really want you the life of that 80 - 90% of people?

Here’s a hint - the other 10%, they’re born into wealth. They don’t work for a good salary because they don’t need to.

Would you, say, become a teacher if it mean your parents could never retire? If you could never afford your children’s college funds? If you could never, ever go on vacation?

You, I, and nobody here would. Those that would, every time I have seen them, have spouses that do the heavy lifting financially.

But now I am asking myself questions similar to those above.

And if you didn’t, instead, you would be asking questions like “when is my next meal?” or “can I ever retire?”

1 Like

Regarding the original query:
Sky is frankly the limit. However, getting in is by far the hardest part.

I’ve received tangible not fairy land offers you read about of 52k in the bay area. Yes that little because I am a junior even though I know how to code. But after two years solid work experience and a portfolio I should make a jump to six figures.

If you’re a hidden genius I know those who went to half a million at Google.

Math is relevant only if you want to program drivers or if you can’t understand general algebra.

And back to passion, I’ll be blunt. Passion doesn’t guarantee anything nor does it always pay the bills nor does 10000 hours. I was a passionate artist, over 10 years pro experience and top 5% of my class. But I couldn’t compete. I don’t have a natural god given ability in it. No companies want me in a cutthroat entertainment industry. And I’m glad because it is too much. I’ve heard stories of the abuse and my passion is not that high.

I wanted a life.

As a coder I am decent, interested, not an expert but I pick tech and stacks up very quickly. Much faster than illustration and now have far more interviews in far less time.

However am I more passionate? No but I am far more consistent and because of that I should be hired in less than a full year if I remain so.

So op I disagree with one thing you said. You do sound intelligent and I think because of your analytical strategy you would do well. Instead you should remain consistent, realistic, attend meetups and find some joy in or have discipline to code everyday.

Consistency is imo the key to success as a coder. And thankfully you can make a decent wage even if you are not the most brilliant in the room due to demand. I wish I can say the same about illustration.

2 Likes