Should I apply for Job or Continue learning

Hi…

I’ve completed the following courses here at freeCodeCamp.

• Responsive Web Design
  • JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures
  • Front End Development Libraries

so should I start applying for jobs?
Can you please advise?

Assuming you want to work as a frontend-dev: Why not both?
You’ll have to learn more stuff anyway - even on the job.
Programs, codes, frameworks are all constantly evolving. So learning will always be present.

Worst case if you apply, they say you should learn more.

2 Likes

Thank you @Jagaya
I agree with what you said…

I see there are opportunities for front-end, back-end, and full-stack but most of them require experience.
Does making projects while learning count as experience?

They usually mean “work” expirience but it’s also usually only “preferred” not “required” - as in, job description generally list things employers would love to see, but they settle for less if you can present your skills.

So making projects and more importantly saving them in some kind of portfolio to show off, will be just as good.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. I will try to make my portfolio as best as possible.
Again Thank you

That portfolio should be hooked in github?

Just a public place where you can share your stuff.
Could be github, could be a personal website, could be a dedicated community for your work (like Kaggle for Machine Learning)…

Github propably is the best-known place though. But don’t feel limited to it.

2 Likes

I agree with Jagaya, doing both would be great. Here’s my long-winded advice (I’ve now went from being a new dev and applying for jobs to being a person that aids in searching for new team members).

It is ok to apply if you don’t check every box listed in the job description, in fact most applicants who receive an entry-level offer don’t fulfill every requirement in the job description. A lot of companies will give you training when you start out for entry-level positions, so even if you say, don’t know one coding language that is listed, you may still get hired. Just be transparent, and ask them what there on-the-job training typically looks like for new developers.

In my experience, there’s potential to learn a lot more from the job interviews where one fails than the ones that result in a job offer. Applying is an endeavor you get better at the more you do it. I would say that as long as you view it as a learning experience, and try not to get down on yourself too much in the event that you fail (it is hard not to do that), it will only help you succeed in the end.

I applied at one tech company three separate times before being offered a job, by the time I received a job offer from them I ended up receiving a better offer from another company, and did not accept their offer. Don’t take it personal if you don’t get hired; and it doesn’t mean you won’t get hired at the same company in the future.

Some companies expect a GitHub link, some want a LinkedIn profile link, every job you apply to is different; but almost all tech jobs ask for a website link. What caught my first employer’s attention was my resume website, so working on one of those is a good idea in my opinion.

Make sure you do initial research on the company and it’s values before an interview with them, because about 50% of applicants don’t do that in my experience, and those applicants do not get hired.

4 Likes

Thanks Jagaya. I am so excited to start looking for an entry-level job, but I suppose that at least I should finish the front-end stage and have done some projects to practice first. :blush:

I agree with @Jagaya with pretty much everything they said. It doesn’t hurt to apply for jobs while you’re working. The worst thing they can do is ignore your application, but you’ll never know if you don’t try. I say go for it!

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for the motivation…

My case is a bit odd because I am not a fresher… I’ve worked with an IT organization for over 4 years in the support area and I would like to change my career into development, Therefore I resigned.

What would be the best approach for me? Any suggestions on how to proceed further?

Well, IT support (Infrastructure in general) is very different from Development so not a lot of tech skills transfer over. I come from an IT support background too.

Was it 4 years of help desk like support or was there some progression?

In any case you do have 4 years of working in a professional business environment which is good to have on a resume. It can help land jobs that aren’t strictly Front End focused.

My opinion is this: if you can do projects on your own (no tutorials/template projects), with React and Sass without CSS libraries(like bootstrap) and you are able to learn quickly, then you are probably ready for a job. It would be worth learning state management and git.

With a strong resume you can get an interview but after that, it’s up to your knowledge (which will likely come from a strong portfolio) to carry you from there.

It was actually application support where you troubleshoot all the application-related issues, Administration, and stuff like that.

Currently, I’m looking for Front-End related jobs.
Full-stack web development (in the future, once I learn that).

I believe I can do it… since I have completed front-end libraries certification on my own (with some help from google). Just need more practice on JS and React Hooks.

I will need to work on my portfolio

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

I understand wanting to switch careers completely!

I think your IT skills can be extremely helpful for soft skills on your resume; you can google soft skills for front-end developers and see what matches up with your experience if you need ideas.

I agree that learning as much as you can, and doing a really nice portfolio is really going to help you land your first position. I also found it helpful to apply to jobs that would give you some kind of simple coding test up front. This gives you a chance to prove that you can do it, even without years of experience.

It may also be extremely helpful to talk to current and previous coworkers to see if they have any leads in web/front-end or dev positions that can help get your foot in the door somewhere too.

1 Like

Thank you for providing great advice.

Could you please provide more info on how to find this kind of job?

I will give this a try… but what I have seen so far is that most of the front-end dev jobs require relevant work experience of at least 2 yrs, which makes me nervous if I will be able to find a job.

Appreciate your patience and valuable advice :slight_smile:

App support experience is actually good - it can list a lot of technical stuff on your resume because of it (maybe you worked with databases or reviewed logs etc).

Regarding experience, I guess but lots of people go through the 3 month bootcamps and get jobs so I’m sure a self taught person can too. I think only (but big) difference is the self taught person needs a lot of discipline as it’s so easy (and common) to take a break>quit.

I mostly see two paths people take after starting front end:

Some people start learning back end tech (node/express/db) which can be good since a number of front end positions do want skills in backend.

The other option is to go deeper into front end (this is what I’m doing with my job anyway) in which you get into Redux, in depth React, TypeScript, Sass, Next.js. You may touch backend stuff here and there when the need arises.

I know people suggest projects but do keep in mind they take a long time (2-4 weeks depending on your free time) and quite honestly, they are not the best indication of a dev’s skill. I see lots of portfolios look the same because they use templates found on google (not hard to notice to be honest) . In my opinion projects should be done with the intention of learning and try to go for something that hasn’t been done a lot!

Lastly, you should start applying but update your resume when you’re confident of a new skill. Just don’t spend too much effort searching as job it can be very exhausting!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will make a decision on whether to deep dive on the front end or proceed with the back end.
Appreciate your patience and valuable advice :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.