Should i be good at math to be a web developer?

Should i be good at math to be a web developer?
0.0 0

so i just got an invitation for a selection test for front end position in this pretty well-known startup company in my country. the problem is the test i’m scheduled for is a mathematic test, and i’m really sucks at math, math has always been my weakness but i’m pretty confident with my front end skills (the job listing doesn’t mention anything related about math either)

so my question is am i really need to be good at math to be a web developer ? and how can i prepare for this test, currently i’m just solving math related problem in codewars

Depends what kind of math, but in general, i’d say NO. Of course you should know basic algebra for web dev, but unless you’re doing signal processing, etc, who gives a shit (pardon the french). Knowing differentials is good for certain things but still most dev has little to do with math concepts.

I will add that i’m assuming web dev assumes more of design issues, when in fact, its so general that it encompasses a whole lot of other stuff. so it just depends. i know everyone hates that answer but unless your question is more specific, that’s the de facto answer.

I build and maintain application forms for colleges and universities. I regularly use basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in building logic for these forms, but not much beyond that.

You have to be good at logic, not necessarily advanced math-wise. I think that anyone who is good at coding has pretty decent basic arithmetic and algebra skills. Mathematics is a very wide and deep field with many many subfields, many of which don’t apply to web dev. If your question was in relation to machine learning than the answer would probably be a big YES.

You don’t need to be particularly great at math, but an understanding of basic arithmetic and algebra is practically required for Web development. If you don’t know how hexadecimal numbers work, you’re undoubtedly going to have a hard time implementing colors in CSS eventually. :wink: And although JavaScript is a language that abstracts away the concept of memory, other languages like C++ and Java (especially C++, and its forebear C) will require you to understand binary numbers eventually.

Additionally, when it comes to algorithms you should have a working understanding of discrete math in order to be able to “problem solve” your way into a solution and know that the code you’re writing is efficient (you can know if it’s efficient by its time and space complexity).

More discussion of this: