Site not taking my answer

Tell us what’s happening:
OK so i am trying to do the beginning of the Information Security with HelmetJS. when I copy and past the link to my answer it isn’t taking it although I made sure that the package is in package.js I allowed it to run in the shell and it appears in the package.js. I have seen other posts talk about changing browsers and I did that and still got the same issue. It is not allowing me to move forward.

Your code so far
var express = require(‘express’);
var app = express();

let helmet = require(‘helmet’);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36 OPR/73.0.3856.284.

Challenge: Install and Require Helmet

Link to the challenge:

Photo
opera_5HmMeJtREX

Hi @Rhion,

A couple of things to try here.

Remove helmet in your repl.it project.:
npm uninstall helmet

Install it again, but use the exact version:
npm install --save-exact helmet@3.21.3

Be sure that you then run your repl (by hitting the Run button near the top of the window).

Then try passing the test again making sure to pass your correct repl.it project URL (it should match the one that shows in the repl’s web view pane.

Note that there is an issue with the tests for this lesson and it requires that the exact version be used, see the issue here for details.

2 Likes

Hi, i was able to intall it this way and run it but this is the issues I am coming with now

this is what happens when I run it and click on fork it. Some where suggested changing listening port to 8080 but I am trying to find a way to do so but the ones I find do not seem to work.

I think that looks like you might be on a network or behind a firewall that is blocking it. Did you have trouble running your repl.it projects for the previous lessons? Were you on the same network? If not, maybe try again on the network where it worked previously.

1 Like

I think so too. But other than that this is my first time doing these kind of courses. I didn’t see anything before this one. I have some training in coding so I thought each certification was different and taught differently rather than you having to do all of them each one at a time before coming to this one. I know about web coding and java and have a understanding of c#/++ and python. js. is the only language that is different but not hard to understand to me. So that is why I just jumped right into this certification as I have interest in security, but more leaning towards reverse engineering and don’t know where to go from there. Definitely my weakest points are cmd, bash, acii and hex

1 Like

For learning the skills necessary to eventually find a Full Stack role, it is recommended to follow the freeCodeCamp curriculum top-down—though it’s getting a little muddy in terms of the track to take now with the recent introduction of Python for Data Anaylsis and ML—but that’s not to say that you have to work top-down though. It depends on your current skillset. Do keep in mind that if you are knowledgeable in a topic already, you can just complete the projects to get the certification.

You say your interested in security, I would say that you should have work toward getting good knowledge of the front-end side of things (as well as the back-end) so you can understand the underpinnings of exploits that attack the front-end of sites. All of freeCodeCamps web developer oriented curriculum center around JavaScript and its ecosystem of tools & frameworks (namely React, Redux, npm, Node.js, Express, Mongoose) and only one database (MongoDB). For the security oriented curriculum it touches on Helmet (for helping to secure Express apps) and Python for Pen Testing.

If you’re not working top-down, I would recommend at least having basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and also getting a proper handle on JavaScript. Node is essentially “JavaScript on the server” so if you learn JavaScript you have a language that you can utilize in both the front-end and back-end (via Node) of a website. And Node is a JavaScript run-time with a whole other set of APIs to learn and work with.

For those with a background in a more traditional Class based language, like Java and C++, JavaScript has it’s own paradigms that can throw you off a bit. You’ll find many concepts map over in terms of the language constructs, but you’ll also find that there are some things that don’t map over (like a Prototypal Inheritance Model and a dynamically bound this, it’s Concurrency Model and how the event loop works—to call out just a few of those things).

You really do have a head-start coming from a background where you’re familiar with other languages. I’d recommend backing up just a bit and at least try to do a run through of the JavaScript Data Structures and Algorithms curriculum, just to ensure you have a good foundation for the other JS based curriculum.

Don’t forget to check freeCodeCamp’s News section and their YouTube channel as well where you’ll be able to find help with some of those things.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. Really appreciated. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.