Struggling with JavaScript / Basic JavaScript - Profile Lookup

Hi there, this is not so much a question about this particular lesson as it is a question about struggling with JavaScript in general. I’ve recently repeated all Basic JavaScript lessons that I had completed at that point. I was using the hints and solutions way too often, so a do-over seemed like a better idea. Things went well during the second round, but now (a few more lessons in) I’m again at that point where I feel clueless. I just watched the video on this lesson and I understand the solution, but I couldn’t even have come up with the first 2 lines. Without a coding example I’m basically lost.

The Responsive Web Design course was sooooooo easy by comparison. I guess I’m wondering if my problems with JavaScript are still in the realm of what’s normal. Did any of you struggle this much before things clicked for you or is it more likely that I’m a hopeless case? Should I go over the earlier lessons for a third time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Challenge: Basic JavaScript - Profile Lookup

Link to the challenge:

1 Like

It’s normal, you are learning a new language, and also logic thinking/algorithm solving at the same time, it’s hard

1 Like

The Responsive Web Design course was sooooooo easy by comparison.

Yup.

I guess I’m wondering if my problems with JavaScript are still in the realm of what’s normal.

Yup.

I’ve recently repeated all Basic JavaScript lessons that I had completed at that point. I was using the hints and solutions way too often, so a do-over seemed like a better idea.

Seems sensible.

But also I would not get stalled too much. Learning to program isn’t, “OK, I’ve done that lesson, now I understand this completely, I will never have to worry about it again…” Sometimes it takes a few times. Sometimes you have only a vague understanding that will only crystalize once you use it “for real” a few times. Don’t think that you have to learn it perfectly. It’s more important to know what is possible and get good at googling the details.

1 Like

Phew okay, thank you! I knew it would be hard and I knew mistakes are all part of the game, but the fact that I’m not even able to come up with a wrong solution sometimes worried me.

1 Like

This is hard stuff - that’s why these jobs pay well. Go easy on yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement! I know everyone struggles with JavaScript at first, but in this case I didn’t even have a clue what to google. It really helps to know that that is still “normal” as well, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.