Taking longer to finish, how long till too long?

Hi all, !
Hope everyone is doing well enough during these times. :slightly_smiling_face:
My question is , I got stuck on the fifth project for the libraries module (25 + 5 timer)

I’m having to restart js and react, outside of freecodecamp basically, and only then will I take another look at that last project. This may be a few more months, will it still be possible for much longer or longer, to finish it ?

I know we do this at our own pace, but I’m thinking maybe it just cancels or such :yum:

Why do you have to restart JS? If you have made it through up to the 5th project of the libraries module, then you know a lot of information and restarting JS from the beginning is not going to help you a lot.

It may be helpful to brush up on some particular syntax or methods that are confusing you, but going all the way back to the beginning will take a lot of time that I don’t know if you need to spend.

2 Likes

You don’t have to worry about losing your progress. I have been at this for years now :blush: and I’m still not done. I recently became a donor to keep myself motivated so that I can actually complete these certs.

1 Like

I just felt that I rushed through the JS part of FCC perhaps. And then really also rushed through the libraries , without really knowing JS at a good enough level.
If I could go back in time I really would have taken my time on learning JS fully first before continuing, but alas.
I’m sure I’m not the only one that has done this :yum:

Well that’s good at least. Where are you at now ?
Did you get to the 25+5 project ?
I definitely also will complete the last project , and then take it from there :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, you definitely are not the first person who has done this.

It might be helpful to restart. On the other hand, you’ve made it this far and you already know a lot. Sometimes it can feel really rewarding to restart and feel like a champion crushing the basics, but programming is fundamentally hard so this can also become a way to put off practicing struggling through the hard bits to make stuff work (eventually, after hard work). As a job/hobby, there is a lot of wrestling with hard problems until you figure them out.

I’m just saying, your mileage may vary and you may not get as much out of it as you think. Maybe, maybe not. Follow your heart, but don’t discount how far you’ve come so far.

1 Like

Hi again!

I remember responding to your posts in the past about this project.
I also remember that you were using redux and react but you don’t have to.

So that might be part of the problem.

I don’t think you need to start completely over but your approach is maybe to complicated.

2 Likes

Yea, I rushed through JS as well because it was so easy to do (as a programmer of another language) once you know the syntax. And like 98% of it can be done with regex’s :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks everyone :slightly_smiling_face: thanks for the encouragement .
And yes, I remember you replied to my project questions JWilkins. I also remember you said you were soon heading to do that same project. Have you yet?
I’m trying a redo of that project in just JS, wait and see how it will go.

I don’t feel I have even an okay grasp yet of the JS basics, no matter how many tutorials I watch or books I read. I have started/stopped reading many JS books, most just don’t feel like they explain it well /in depth enough , and it’s hard to understand the JS big picture?

1 Like

It’s hard to understand the big picture of coding in any language. Honestly, the only way to get a better big picture is to keep trying to make bigger and bigger stuff.

Watching tutorials and reading books is great, but at the end of the day the only way to learn to ride a bicycle is to get on a bicycle and the only way to learn to code is to try to code.

2 Likes

I just finished a side project so now I am back to finishing up the front end projects.

What helps me a lot is to just build things and break things often.
I try a lot of different things until I can get it working.

I think breaking down the project into smaller pieces will help too.

Keep combing through the previous comments from your other posts and try to tackle one issue at a time.

2 Likes

I know I’m coding something at least every day .

So , I finally managed to get this dreaded project to pass all tests, for both plain JS and react/JS !!! :grinning:

Now, I’ve been trying to add a library to use for the toggle button

ui library

but I can’t add the import statement, or add the library within the codepen by clicking JS settings , so how do I do this?

I want to add, I added the library within JS settings, but it doesn’t seem to work as it doesn’t recognize the code , just a basic

<ToggleButton></ToggleButton> within my render function.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.