Typical Course Curriculum of a Coding Bootcamp

Hello,

I would like to follow a Coding Bootcamp in a few weeks, but I don’t have the financial means to pay.(way too expensive for me currenctly).I would like to beceome a proficient “Web Developer”.

My goal? To do freelance missions on Upwork.com and such (design websites, responsive design, and such). All Webfront oriented

So I intend to do this:

• get to know a typical Coding Bootcamp curriculum (in detail)

• gather the online courses from free websites such as Free Code Camp (:slight_smile: ) + Udemy Codecademy etc

• Summarize and structure all those heterogeneous free online ressouces in a compact and coherent curriculum tailored-made by me

• Start coding

Then I would need to do some hands-on projects available online. (codemaster.com?)

I would code everyday part-time for around 12 weeks, just like in a real Coding bootcamp, but of course it will be less efficient since I won’t have mentorship.

Its ok though, because all free.

Can you help me build a solid and coherent Coding curriculum in detail that I can follow everyday?

Or at least point me to some preformatted typical Coding bootcamp curriculum?

Note: the maximum financial amount I can put upfront for a Coding Bootcamp is 500 euros./ But I don’t think that even covers 2 days of full-time coding!

My level; intermediate in CSS and Javascript. Beginner in Java. Beginner/Intermediate in PHP.

I know React.js a little and I know HTML 5 quite well.

Just from my experience going to a coding bootcamp, I can tell you with certaintly, there is not typical… Some of the things they face are keeping up with the latest in tech, teaching what students want to know (the latest, newest, stuff they keep hearing about), teaching what their hiring partners / local companies want you to know (which most likely will not be new, latest or the fun stuff students hear about…and can vary wildly depending on where you live) and also arranging the cirriculum in a way that they can speed teach a class of people from varying tech backgrounds.

There’s no magic formula for that.

Id start with researching the companies and type of companies you want to work for and the type of job you want to do. That way you can have a better idea of what languages and skill sets will be most important for your goals. Once you know where you want to go with your knowledge, then you can come up with a plan to help you reach those goals.

Also, dont knock not having mentorship…FCC is actually the first community I was a part of and will always be a part of because of the amount of help, guidance and support that is here…everyone really helps others to succeed here, which I love. But you also can seek out local meetups, tech groups and organizations to build up a local network of people who can help you too.

I answered a similar question a while back, so I’ll just link you to it.

However, while the there are structural similarities, there is no typical because different camps have different emphasis and techs they teach. Even the bootcamp I attended is probably completely different now 8 month later.

The curriculum isn’t the most valuable thing about a bootcamp. P1xt had posted his job ready guides on these forums long ago, and they are every bit as rich in content as my coding bootcamp curriculum. Information I’ve learned in bootcamp weren’t anything I couldn’t find online or in a book.

The community, structure, and mentorship are the most valuable thing they provide. if you attended one with established industry connections, then the existing industry network is arguably more valuable.

Like I mentioned in the other post, the most important things and maybe the hardest to obtain on your own, is accountability. It requires a certain level of mental fortitude and maturity to keep yourself accountable, and it’s not something everyone can do easily.

I echo the above. I know from my bootcamp their curriculum is sort of a ‘living curriculum’… it evolves as the languages and libraries evolve… we even ended up learning some new stuff on the fly as they had just pushed it out (I think either ES6 or React…).

No two coding bootcamp is the same. Maybe in general in what languages they teach but how they approach it varies a great deal. 6 months out from my graduation, there’s already a big change in React!

both cdndragn and psychometry have good points.