Upcoming Interview Advice for a total noob

Im looking for a remote mapping job, can you tell me what you do at your current job that relates to mapping? I understand if you choose not to get into that, but good luck for you moving forward … My current job hires developers occasionally, and they pretty much give you a coding task based on your skill level and you figure it out in front of senior developers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do mainly safety of nav mapping for federal government. I essentially interpret geomorphology where there is no data, based on surrounding data. It’s all ocean mapping thats really all I can say about it.

Its the easiest job I have ever had and I was hyped on it until I found coding, it ruined my job for me lol. I have to much fun doing this to get excited at work anymore, and I’ve only been there a year. It being gov work has its pros and cons. I came from 8-14hours 5-7 days a week in mud, concrete, and soil, slinging 80lb augurs around(that part was actually fun). All that to say coding is for me.

Web dev is the right kind of fun/irritating/problem solving to keep me engaged. The mapping work is to mindless to often, even being on a boat. I am sure private sector is a little more fun.
What kind of mapping stuff you trying to get into? I’ve also done some GIS stuff, field mapping in Wyoming in some oil fields, shot seismic to map faults, and done a ton of gpr work.

1 Like

Thats cool, William! Thats a lot of entries on a resume! I was on a navigational app team and did art related stuff and mapped indoor venues for an app called Nearby Explorer Online. I used JOSM mostly, to upload floor planes and things like that, and geographically place them at the perfect lat-long . The app was so successful they sold it to a for-profit company, so Im out of that business. But toward the end, I was writing my own style sheets for JOSM and doing some coding in React Native. Like you, after coding, I was spoiled. That is what I want to do, but Im just not there yet, so Id like to work for a mapping/navigation company doing anything map related. Mapilary needs people occasionally, so until I can code, mapping it is! The growing indoor navigation industry is what I know the most about.
Your resume looks good, and now you can code, something will come your way, for sure. The boat life sounds great! Im jealous! How cool is that?!?!?
But, something will come your way. I think coding stretches across a wide variety of industries, so something will happen … A boating blog for a manufacturer??? Good luck! :+1:

1 Like

Woah man that’s also super cool! They wouldn’t have even needed me to do gpr looking for rebar that could some how have been mapped in the concrete with some kind of trace wire maybe? Either way indoor mapping is what I know the least about but its super cool. I honestly think its probably more difficult than half the stuff I have done. Man that so cool. Man I hope so soon, that partly the issue is the boat life, if I was a single man I probably wouldn’t mind it but being away from family for 40+ days can suck. I love being on the water especially fishing but not on it that long. I am a power lifter too and gym life on a boat is mehhhh. I really don’t have a bad job but I can’t help and at least want something more engaging. My button pushing days are over, I need problems to solve lol. The thought of remote work too man that’s whats up.

1 Like