What is the best editor for javascript?

I am a beginner to javascript. All of my books are saying that any text editor is supported but doesn’t mention which one is the best? So, I came here to get the suggestions from you legends!!

I like to use Atom with script package.

Hi :slight_smile:

I personally use Visual Studio Code.
But there are other great ones like Atom, WebStorm (that one is not free) or Sublime Text.

In my opinion, if you want to have a quick setup and an easy-to-use editor, you should try either Visual Studio Code or Atom (both are free).

You won’t find a particular answer to your question. Ten people will give you ten different answers. It’s mostly an opinion-based question. You should have asked what IDE/Text Editor you like to use.

I like both Sublime Text 3 and Atom (with packages). What I don’t like about Atom is that it takes ages to load whereas ST3 loads super quickly, but if you use a SSD, you may not be bothered.

I also like all Jetbrains products, and Web Storm is one of their products.

Download a few IDEs/TE and test them out yourself. Whatever you find best, use it.

There’s a ton of free editors out there. Just try them all until you find one that you like.

But Imma just leave this one here… :slight_smile:

I like VSCode and Sublime.

Sublime isn’t free, but the trial version doesn’t expire so it sort of is?

(of course if you like it and find it’s the editor for you it would be nice to pay for it.)

Its definitely up to personal preference… Im still trying them out to see which one I feel most comfortable with… started off with NetBeans which I liked a lot…just that it took forever to load and used up a lot of resource, so I moved on to trying Sublime which Im using now and I like it even better. It is free, just have to deal with a nag screen every so often.

I would also like to try Atom and VS to see what I think of those too. But yeah, the best really is down to whichever one you personally feel most comfortable with, and thats going to be different for everyone.

VSCode reminds me of Sublime in a way (it loads up pretty quick) but it seems more an IDE than an editor in that it takes plug-ins and such.

idk why I like Sublime so much. I guess because it’s quick and I have it on both laptops (one Win10 and one Linux) and it runs well on both.

I’ve read some people say you kind of just end up liking one and sticking with it. Like the Vi vs Emacs “war”. Some like one, some like the other, but they’re both good.

chrome dev window, sublime, eclipse

There are so many good free cross-platform code editors that it’s actually worth having them all installed at the same time: Sublime Text (both 2 and 3), Atom, Visual Studio Code, WebStorm (Community Edition), Eclipse for JavaScript, NetBeans, Brackets, and Aptana Studio.

Of course there are Mac-only, Linux-only, and Windows-only editors as well. As a Windows user myself, I really like Notepad++—because it’s a native Windows app written in C++ and is super light-weight (only 2.8MB for the latest version!), it’s by far the fastest code editor available on Windows, and it helps that it looks & behaves like a native Windows app (unlike Sublime, which is also fast, but doesn’t look like a Windows app at all).

On Linux, which I also use, I prefer using a combo of Sublime with Geany. vim is too hardcore for me. :wink:

Since you are a beginner, I would strongly advice you NOT to go for advanced text-editors. These advanced text-editors like VS Code or Atom have auto-completions built-in. That’s not an ideal scenario. You need to keep in your memory at least basic JavaScript keywords and structures. You need to hand code them. Auto-completions do help in the long run but for beginners they prove to be a bane rather than a boon.

Try Notepad2 on Windows and TextMate on macOS. When you feel that you are quite accustomed to writing JavaScript code, then and then only go for advanced text-editors. This logic applies to any other piece of technology that you want to learn like HTML, CSS, React, etc.

Don’t fall for the hoopla around text-editors. Your primary goal is to have a rock solid command over JavaScript. When you will learn enough, you will know by yourself that it’s just a matter of preference.

PS: I am not sure about auto-completions in TextMate as I have never used a Mac.

Sublime Text is certainly not free. It’s proprietary, paid software which has a very lenient trial period, but that shouldn’t be conflated with “free.”

Visual Studio Code and Atom are both free and open-sourced. I recommend Code, but either should suffice.

Visual Studio Code is great for the Git integration and the built in terminal. But it can be sluggish, and is prone to constant updates.

I use brackets but atom and Vscode are also good options.

real hackers use Nano

I use Atom with atom-live package and a nice dark theme… works best for me so far. :slight_smile:

Hey what plugin are you using to console log the results in the editor with /* ? */

amazing post admin keep updating world

using notepad++ :slight_smile: But there are better

I tried Sublime, Atom, and Brackets, and find myself sticking with Brackets. I was really into Atom, but Brackets is faster. Also my work machine is a managed machine, and Atom’s updater couldn’t push updates to my machine properly. It was fine for a little while, but then I got tired of re-downloading Atom whenever there was an update, which was somewhat frequent. I tried Brackets after Atom, and haven’t looked for another editor since.