What order should I learn the FCC material?

Hi alll,

I’ve started working through the first course on HTML/CSS (alongside many other resources).

From most of the reading and videos I have watched on learning the basics of web development the next logical step is to begin learning JavaScript? Would people agree?

I’m asking partly because of the way that FCC has ordered it’s material. Sequentially speaking, FCC goes into learning Bootstrap and JQuery before it gets to the basics on Javascript. Is it intentionally ordered like this for a learning purposes or not?

Many Thanks in advance!

Matt

Should I complete all of the coding challenges in order?

We’ve put a lot of thought into how we introduce concepts. But you’re free to jump around.

From the FAQ

1 Like

So would you recommend to go through in the order- i.e. go straight into bootstrap and the jquery?

Totally up for following this advice, I’m just interested if it’s possible to explain why you think this is the best option? (though you reserve the right to ignore this question if the answer is likely to make little sense to me with my lack of current knowledge =)) I’m super curious about the fastest and most efficient way to learn things from having had a background in education which is why I ask!

Some people think that you shouldn’t bother learning tools until you understand what they’re built out of. They’ll tell you to skip Bootstrap and jQuery. Some people will tell you not to learn them at all.

I’m not one of those people.

I think that their placement in the curriculum creates a nice segue from CSS to JavaScipt. It provides context for why you do things like give elements ids and shows you that the HTML can be dynamically changed without throwing a lot of code on the screen that will just be overwhelming. You’ll probably use Bootstrap and jQuery on some of your projects because they are nice tools that are easily available, easy to understand, and there. But maybe you’d prefer to skip them for now and only come back to them if/when you do decide to use them in a project. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I appreciate your thinking on this. I guess I can see the logic of both approaches from different perspectives. I definitely am keen to learn the fundamentals to really understand how things work, but I think like you said, it is a nice segue to learn some basic Bootstrap and Jquery in the run up to that.

Thanks!