What to write on linkedin?

Hello

I started to learn web development three years ago.
still university student as I postponed my exams many times.

I finished four years in my college.

it is top college in my country. but it is not related to programming or computer.

now I want to create Linkedin profile as a web developer.

what should I say about my education?

That you are currently a student, the name of your school, your expected graduation year, and your program of study.

1 Like

@ArielLeslie

Thank you. and what if I do not want to mention my college?
if it might not be completed, it would be better to not mention?

Why would you not want to mention school? The typical thing to do is to put down your school and anticipated graduation date on LinkedIn and your CV while in school.

1 Like

@JeremyLT

because it strongly may not be completed. so it is better to mention high school only?
and some other courses I did?

Potential employers still want to know what you have been doing. A couple of years of incomplete school is better on a CV than a gap with nothing.

1 Like

@JeremyLT

thank you. but it took very long time because I postponed many times. they may think why that delay?

Never lie on your resume. Its better to have data on your resume than gaps.

2 Likes

@JeremyLT
yes, thank you. I will try to complete my college as soon as possible because no one will give a job to a student.

I don’t know how it works in your country, but I think in general “I studied at university for three years before choosing another career” is better that no university.

And again, I don’t know how it works in your market, but if you are so close to finishing that degree, it might be a good thing to finish it. Even if it is not directly relevant to coding, it at least shows that you can finish something. I think my MA in Music gets a little attention.

4 Likes

@kevinSmith
many thanks. it is a great idea. till I finish my study. I will try

I suggest that you mention your college even if you haven’t graduated yet. just put in your expected graduation. As an HR practitioner… this is better than omitting it.

1 Like

@lace
Thank you for your help. I have two questions as you are HR practitioner.

for web development, I am self-taught, how to write this on the education section? is this a good thing without degree?

Also you see my English level. Is it good? does my level enable me to get a remote job in USA or European countries?

thank you.

lace can throw in his/her perspective.

As to being self-taught - join the club. But I’d be careful about “bragging” about it. When I was a professional musician, there was this guy that wrote a kooky theory book. We was always proudly pointing out that it was self-published. I always thought it was an odd brag - anyone can be self-published and it just means that no publisher was interested.

I probably wouldn’t point it out per se in my resume - they’ll infer it from a lack of a college degree. You can point out any FCC certs you have (though I don’t think they are much value). You can talk a little about your coding journey in a cover letter and definitely in an interview, but I wouldn’t waste valuable real estate on your resume pointing out that you’ve had no formal education in coding - something they can already tell.

It also reminds me of a singer that used to brag that he does everything by ear? I wanted to slap him and tell him that we all play music by ear - it’s just that some of also took the time to learn how to read and write it. He was bragging about his lack of education. I’m not saying that you can’t get a coding job without a coding degree (I certainly did) but it’s also not something worth bragging about.

As to getting hired in the US or Europe because you speak English well - I know a little about this because I am an American trying to get to Europe. Yes, speaking good English is a good thing. Many coding shops, even in non-English speaking countries work in English. But that alone isn’t enough. It is very hard to get hired as a developer for your first job in a foreign country (It is A LOT or paperwork). Also hard is getting your first job working remotely - they don’t know much about what you can do. True, there might be some contractor position you can get, but these are often contracted out to shops in some country or other.

My advice is to keep applying but also look for any freelance work you can get, even small jobs. It was a freelance job that I got doing React Native that really helped me get hired (but that was as an American and applying to an American country.) I don’t want to discourage you, but we need to manage expectations. If you work long enough and hard enough, something will work out, it’s just not going to be easy.

That’s my two cents, anyway.

2 Likes

@kevinSmith

Thank you for explaining your opinion and detailed reply. I do appreciate.

for web development, I am self-taught, how to write this on the education section? is this a good thing without degree? - you could say knowledgeable in web development ( you do not need to be a graduate for you to have knowledge or skill in everything)

For english level- if you are not from the US or Europe- you will need a certification either IELTS, TOEFL,etc. for you to be able to get the job.

I am currently living in Europe and one of the requirements is a certification. Check out some job advertisements and you will see the qualifications they need.