Where to start and should I bother?

I’m so lost where to start learning to code. I want to see if I can do something with this and change my life for the better. I currently work as a caregiver for family. It’s a stressful job but not rewarding and I feel a bit trapped. I was never good at schooling, but there were a few factors that contributed to this. My home life was awful, I was bullied, I would not go to school because of it. I found out I have sleep apnea last year & so now I’m treating it. I’m receiving help for my mental health and hopefully soon will start therapy. So I don’t know how much math you need for this, what other subjects are needed. What to learn first and if anyone can recommend a laptop to get. I only have a phone atm and it’s hard learning on a little screen. Any words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @koola !

Welcome to the forum!

freeCodeCamp teaches web development and is currently building out a data science curriculum.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in web dev, then start here

You will start by learning HTML and CSS by building projects. You don’t need any prior coding experience to start learning.

Then you will move onto JavaScript starting with this course

If you are interested in web development, then you don’t need much math to be successful in it. If you are interested in other fields of programming, then it will depend on the amount of math required.

Right now, I would suggest getting the most basic and cheapest functioning computer you can afford.
You don’t need fancy tech to get started learning.
Later on, you could worry about upgrading your gear, but for right now just get something that works and is stable.
The freeCodeCamp curriculum is designed to be done in the browser. So you are not required to download a whole bunch of stuff to start learning how to code.

Mental health is really important and working with a therapist will be a really beneficial.
The self taught journey is not always easy but it is worth it when you did land a tech job.

I started learning how to code back in 2020 and now work as a software developer.
My main piece of advice is to take it slow, ask the forum for help when you need it, and build tons of small projects to become more comfortable with your skills.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Good morning, @koola !

It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot. I hope you get some relief soon.

@jwilkins.oboe already answered most of your questions. I just wanted to add that while Chromebooks are good basic computers and pretty inexpensive, I don’t think they’re really suited to coding. For that you want a Windows, Mac, or Linux machine.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re looking to change your life for the better through coding! It’s a great field with a lot of potential for growth and fulfillment. To start learning to code, you don’t need to be an expert in math, but having a solid understanding of basic arithmetic, algebra, and logic can be helpful. Some programming languages, such as Python, have a lower learning curve, making them a good starting point for beginner coders.

Here’s my advice for getting started:

Choose a programming language: There are many programming languages to choose from, each with its own unique syntax and use cases. Start with a beginner-friendly language like Python, and once you feel comfortable, you can move on to other languages.

Learn the basics: Get a good understanding of basic programming concepts such as variables, data types, control structures, functions, and loops.

Practice: The best way to learn how to code is to write code. You can start by working on small projects, or by following online tutorials and taking coding challenges.

Join a community: Connect with other beginner coders and developers through online forums, meetups, or coding bootcamps. You can also seek help and support from experienced coders, and learn from their experiences.

Stay motivated: Learning to code takes time and effort, but it’s a worthwhile investment in your future. Stay motivated by setting goals, celebrating your accomplishments, and reminding yourself of why you started.

As for a laptop, you can look for one with at least an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a good graphics card. A MacBook or a Windows laptop with a decent processor and enough storage would be sufficient for your needs.

Good luck, and don’t give up! Learning to code is a valuable skill that will open up new opportunities and give you the satisfaction of creating something new.

Hi, I was primary caregiver for my partner for the past 6 1/2 years. I have just resumed the FCC curriculum after several years now that he has passed on.

My biggest suggestion right now would be to do it in small chucks of time, end on a successful note as often as possible each day. it won’t always be possible as some challenges or concepts may take, days or weeks to understand, let alone master.

But there are so many things you can do right away with the right lessons, and free code camp has them built right into the browser.

Do it for the journey right now…learning is best done when the midn is relaxed and you’re not stressed. if you stress that you have to learn to code to get a different job or meaning in life, you’ll put too much pressure on yourself to learn.

So do it for the journey of learning and have fun as you build new skills!

1 Like

I have been learning to code for about a month and a half now, I started with Python and I am really enjoying it do far. Im taking 2 different python courses on coursera and just heard of this site and considering thier pen testing course with python for after im done qith my current course. Its been forever since I was in high school and Python has been fairly easy to learn so far. Basic algebra is worst ive run into so far, and thats just because an asignment wanted me to write a program to find factorials, and another to find other values where I had to refresh on just the formula. Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.