Your understanding

Dear coders!

I had been learning coding/python since the last several months. I have some good success. But, whenever some difficult problems come up, like error analysis or package or library issue, I feel like just get out of coding, it really frustrates me. But by anyhow if i fix the issues i feel good.

Do you guys really feel the same? Or should I really evaluate myself, whether I should continue to programming land?

Thanks!
Jay.

We all have areas of coding that come easily and some that take more work. There are usually a few that drive us a little crazy. But if we work at them, they get easier.

Should you continue programming? On a whole, do you enjoy programming? That is the most important question. Someone who enjoys coding, assuming they have at least moderate intelligence and focus, will eventually become a good coder. But someone that does not enjoy it will just be miserable forever.

1 Like

Hello Kevin,

thanks for saying that:

“Someone who enjoys coding, assuming they have at least moderate intelligence and focus, will eventually become a good coder. But someone that does not enjoy it will just be miserable forever.”

Thats sufficient for me to roll!!

Cheers!
Jay.

I wouldnt say thats an issue related to coding, but rather general desposition on how you feel when facing with problems which are out of your learning comfort zone and i have the same issue. Everytime im out of it facing a hard challenge i start to crumble and dont feel the joy that coding generally gives me, but the way to success is push throught that feeling and keep going. And eventually there is always a point you can look back and see how much you acheived and how much you’ve progressed since some challenge you faced back then. My advise is work on how you deal with leaving your zone of comfort and dont allow it to hamper you too much.

Yeah, I don’t want to go into an old man rant, but these kids today…

I don’t think that the generations that have come after me are being as equipped to deal with difficulties and challenges and types of learning that require longterm work, focus, delayed gratification, etc. But if you can develop those skills, you’ll be a step ahead.

1 Like

Hello Kevin,

I am 41.5 years old! So, I guess i am no more a kid. :smile:

But the point you mentioned i understand and thanks for reminding me about focus and delayed gratification.

I wanted to change my career. In the beginning, I had a lot of hesitation to change. Lastly took the courage to change. However, now I have a lot of inner resistance and lack of focus to learn new things. And sometimes weird self questions that what I am doing at 41, etc!!

I hope you understand me :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!
Jay

Yeah, it’s fun to pick on “these kids today” and complain. (I’m about a decade older than you.) And I do think that I see a lot of what I mentioned in the new generation, but in all fairness, we all struggle with these things. I certainly have had struggles with focus and commitment and delaying gratification. I’m just suggesting that the world of social media is shortening our attention spans and weakening our focus. Each generation seems less able to focus and maintain attention. Working with younger devs, I see a real drop in comprehension - which I tie to a lack of reading in general.

But enough of my chauvinistic, old-man ramblings - ever generation in the history of man has complained about the generation that came after it.

The real question is how to solve it. The solution is the same regardless of whether or not my ramblings are true. The solution is to exercise those “muscles”. The more you focus, the stronger your focus becomes. The more you read, the stronger your reading comprehension becomes. The more you practice strategically delaying gratification, the better you will become. The more you practice discipline, the better you will get at it.

Just work at it. Build those muscles.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.