10 major freeCodeCamp improvements that are live now

oh where is the black screen for coding? I m crying

The dark theme/night mode has been mentioned approximately 20 times in this thread alone. It’s coming. If it is that important to you, there are a number of tools and extensions that you can use to change the colors of web pages or your monitor.

1 Like

thank you! I love the website anyway!

It looks like someone has already created a style for the Stylish browser extension for the new site: https://userstyles.org/styles/160825/new-freecodecamp-dark

1 Like

I don’t really want to bother, but what about the progress and the sign in on the lear. subdomain?

I still can’t be logged in on that area. Thank you!

I believe that the signin issues have been fixed for learn.freecodecamp.org. You need to use your email address to sign in.

thank you so much <3

Okay but to register I used github, now If I use the email my progress is gone :cry:

Fixed, sorry

Your old account is still there. It sounds like what happened is that when you signed in with email, it created a new account for you instead of linking to your existing account. For security reasons, the only way to have your user account manually modified is to email team@freecodecamp.org with your account details. Please be patient with this process. There are thousands of emails hitting that account right now and only one Quincy to address them.

https://learn.freecodecamp.org/ is not working. I have to use a proxy to use this site i am from Karachi

Congratulations on the upgrade. I really like the automatic functions and the output section but the main menu on top now is not efficient anymore, the bar search it’s too big and the options are not enough.
Before the upgrade, the page had: map, chat, forum, about and your image with the number of challenges you did.
I understand the new challenges being added but the map was very useful to keep a track on them.

Also, I can see the progress I’ve made in the Curriculum, but the code inside the challenges is all gone. All the work I’ve done is not documented.

Hopefully, you can change that, it’s very confusing.

2 Likes

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

Your in progress code is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. Because FCC rolled out a completely new application, the old cached values are no longer valid. This is the same effect you would have if you cleared your browser cache. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

1 Like

this is great! back to black haha
thanks for sharing

It doesn’t work for me :sob:
I click on the curriculum at the top then click on the challenge I want to complete and the screen just goes blank. I’ve tried refreshing the page multiple times and also tried different challenges, but still just a black screen. Not sure how to resolve this

EDIT: It seems to be safari on my mac book that it doesn’t work. It seems to be working on firefox. Is there a way to get it to work on my Mac?

Free Code Camp has bee updated to use newer technologies. It makes the application much faster and it means that we can go much longer without having to do a huge migration like this. However, Edge and Safari are very bad about choosing not to adhere to standards and support new functionality in JS and CSS. Right now, that means that both Edge and Safari exhibit lots of unexpected behavior. If you become a web developer you will come to hate these browsers with every fiber of your being.

How do i see my code output? In the past when i pressed “Run the Tests” it would show me what my output was. Now it just shows the test and not my output.

Why didn’t you guys support the legacy cache or at least do a legacy migration to the current version?
This upgrade is completely inconsiderate of your userbase.

You guys could’ve at least slowly migrated the users over or left a notification banner up to warn us of the possible code loss.

1 Like

How can we see the map/curriculum of the old freeCodeCamp? I’m asking because some things, like the Twitch project, have been moved and are no longer required, and I’d just like to see the old curriculum for comparison purposes and also as a possible alternative/supplemental study track.