2nd day trying to learn coding

Hey guys. This is my 2nd day trying to learn coding. I typed the following into notepad but when I open with firefox, it doesn’t do any of the tags and displays everything as text on the firefox page:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<h1> Hello MOM </h1>

Hello MOM
</html>

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong please? I’m not sure if it helps but I saved the file as “index.txt”.
Thank you!

1 Like

i dont think it does

could we see your code?

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (').

1 Like

I’m not sure how to show it. It keeps showing up as just
Hello MOM
Hello MOM
Is there a way to block out the forum from hiding the tags?

why is it in an html it should be in a body

what @JeremyLT said above

Thank you both! I used html because it was in one of the videos I watched. I switched it to body and it still shows the tags on the firefox page though.

so… is it fixed your issue?

It should be in a body and your file should have .html extension instead of .txt

No, The Firefox page still shows the tags. Here is the code in the notepad file:

<body>
<h1>
Hello MOM </h1>

Hello MOM
</body>

put that code on one line

put that code in an h1 or a p element

Oh thank you! That got it to work when I opened it up with firefox. How do I open it up to edit it with notepad again though?

Nvm, I can just open up the text document if I use “save as” instead of “save” lol. Thank you again to everyone who repsonded!!