2nd day trying to learn coding

Hey guys. This is my 2nd day trying to learn coding. I typed the following into notepad but when I open with firefox, it doesn’t do any of the tags and displays everything as text on the firefox page:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<h1> Hello MOM </h1>

Hello MOM
</html>

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong please? I’m not sure if it helps but I saved the file as “index.txt”.
Thank you!

1 Like

i dont think it does

could we see your code?

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (').

1 Like

I’m not sure how to show it. It keeps showing up as just
Hello MOM
Hello MOM
Is there a way to block out the forum from hiding the tags?

why is it in an html it should be in a body

what @JeremyLT said above

Thank you both! I used html because it was in one of the videos I watched. I switched it to body and it still shows the tags on the firefox page though.

so… is it fixed your issue?

It should be in a body and your file should have .html extension instead of .txt

No, The Firefox page still shows the tags. Here is the code in the notepad file:

<body>
<h1>
Hello MOM </h1>

Hello MOM
</body>

put that code on one line

put that code in an h1 or a p element

Oh thank you! That got it to work when I opened it up with firefox. How do I open it up to edit it with notepad again though?

Nvm, I can just open up the text document if I use “save as” instead of “save” lol. Thank you again to everyone who repsonded!!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.