Advancing to Bootstrap, but feeling lost after HTML5 and CSS

Hi,
I have a question, and I’m hoping someone can help me with it. I just finished the HTML5 and CSS portion of the front end developer certification last night. I noticed that Bootstrap is the next lesson/phase of the training. My concern is that I was able to progress through the training, but I don’t feel ready to move right into Bootstrap. Is this normal? If I move on, will I build on what was taught to me or should I just start over with HTML5 and CSS and then move on? I need some direction before I move forward, as these lessons are taking me longer than expected. Also, for anyone who has completed the full certification, how long did it take you, and how proficient are you feeling? I have no previous experience or background with code. I do enjoy playing around with WIX though. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

The FCC challenges for CSS are not enough. Think of them as just appetizers. Personally, I think you need more than what was just taught during the challenges. Either look at books, online courses, or reference sites to learn more about CSS. – and most importantly, build some html/css projects. That’s the only way you can master CSS.

https://www.w3schools.com/css/

Now, Bootstrap is great. But a lot of what Bootstrap does may seem like voodoo magic if you don’t know the basics/fundamentals of CSS. Then you’ll run into some problems when you get unexpected results using Bootstrap + your custom CSS styles… and you’ll wonder why your font color isn’t working or something like that.

So yes, learn Bootstrap, but make sure you have a good understanding of basic CSS first.

1 Like

@owel Thank you!

I agree, the challenges do not seem sufficient enough for me to feel prepared to take on the next assignments. I wan’t to understand what I’m doing, not just complete a course. Even if it takes forever, and it has been lol.

I started out using codecademy, and watching some people on Youtube. I’ll take a look at the links you posted.

Thanks again.

I’ve just done the first assignment (The one where you make a tribute page for someone). I found that the course game me enough to get started but I needed to google a few things and go back to some of the exercises to work remember the correct key words and format.

You could check out the beta version of FCC https://beta.freecodecamp.org It wont save your progress after they merge the new courses with the existing but its got a lot more CSS learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The thing I love, and initially hated, about FCC is that it rarely holds your hand. It’s less a comprehensive course, more a series of increasingly difficult challenges and projects. It sets you a challenge just outside of your reach, and how you get there is largely up to you.

If you’re not feeling comfortable with something, then absolutely take a pause to go off on your own direction for a bit. If you want to know more about how one specific thing works, embrace that curiosity and dive down the rabbit hole. When you do come back to the course, you’ll be all the more rounded for it!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to using what I’ve learned. I have had to google a few things that were not that clear. Thanks.

I will check it out. Thanks

The fact that FCC does not hold my hand, is why I switched over from Codecademy. The walls are so frustrating though. I have been looking at other resources to help me out more with HTML and CSS.