Advice to New FreeCodeCamp Members

Hello everyone!

I am pretty new here, but I’ve spent quite a bit of time coding in the past month. I don’t profess to be an expert, but here’s a tip to new members:

Go to a secondary source while still using FreeCodeCamp

FreeCodeCamp seems to be intentionally tricky at times. In the beginning, there is quite a bit of “hand holding”. Once I hit JavaScript though, it became a lot harder. I was very frustrated. But once I sought out additional learning materials, my learning began to speed up again.

Even FreeCodeCamp themselves advocates using a secondary source. They routinely link out to the Mozzila Developer Network (MDN). While the MDN is a bit dense for a beginner, there many other resources out there.

I’ve begun to use FreeCodeCamp as a “gauge” for how much I am learning. JavaScript just wasn’t sticking at first. Then, I took it upon myself to go to other resources to learn. When I came back to FreeCodeCamp, I was surprised that those “impossible challenges” now seemed very clear to me.

Don’t give up! Use FreeCodeCamp as a home base, and be sure to explore on your own. Your learning will greatly increase.

6 Likes