Am I job ready?

I’ve been teaching myself web development for quite a while now, and I can say that I am pretty comfortable with the basic concepts enough that I can learn the basics of a framework fairly quickly (in my opinion).

However, I have no real, professional experience at all as a web dev, and all the job postings I’ve seen have requirements that just seem unfeasible for me to fulfill or learn myself without doing actual projects. Even internships have ridiculous requirements to meet. So I’d actually like some feedback to see if I could start applying to get internships and learn further:

Here is my portfolio..

I of course have a good understanding of HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I’ve built silly applications with React and Vue. I’ve also used pre-processors like Sass and included it in the build step of a project (maybe extended bootstrap). For backend, I guess I have a pretty good grasp of the main concepts, and I’ve built things with ExpressJS and Laravel.

I just don’t know what it takes to survive or even start as an intern. I’ve seen concepts in web development that I don’t even know how to search Google for, and I feel pretty inept. I have too many questions I can’t answer myself.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I cannot answer if you are job ready. But I noticed a few thing:

1. You seem to manage most parts of web development fairly well.
  2. You seem to be independent and communicative.
  3. Your own site rates way above average on web.dev
  4. You seem to have passed the I-can-do-everything-level. To know you own limits is a great foundation.

Overall I should say you are on the right track :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t give you an answer as to whether you’re employable or not.

However, from what I can see you have some solid front end development skills on display. They seem appropriate for your level but still have that “school project” kind of vibe. Not a huge deal as most companies are understanding and will take into account that you’re still a student. Also, try to showcase something outside of your studies, especially with back end related development.

Apart from that, I feel that you have the skills to gain employment via internship or even an entry level front end web dev position but…

Your job application materials are severely lacking - resume and linked in profile are pretty weak. I feel this is cutting you off before they even look at your portfolio. If your cover letters are written in a similar style, they’re probably not being read. Try to address this first and then try networking on linked in.

Some suggestions for your portfolio page:

• Reduce the motion on the landing page. This can easily annoy recruiters
  • need a more professional theme. Limit the personal interest stuff like comics etc.
  • make the large preview images clickable links. Your demos can easily be missed on a quick glance

Hope this helps! Good luck

1 Like

The only way to find out if you’re employable is to start applying to jobs. If you get hired, you’re employable.

1 Like

Hey, just wanted to know how you were able to track your own progess, what do you need to access to see this?

Many Thanks

Faisal

If your question was targeted to me, I track down my progress by using the Elephant Method. I set up main goals and subgoals so I never lose focus.

1. Learn
  2. Practice (build, deploy, test etc)
  3. Check / Evaluate (https://web.dev etc)
  4. Get feedback from customers, forums etc
  5. Start over again in a never ending loop.

Hello,

what do you think of the idea of doing first an internship and gaining practical work experience and than searching for a fulltime job or even continue in the company?

Best regards,
Kai

Best Regards,
Kai

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.