Beginner looking for new career

Hi all,

I’m new here and so far I love this place. I’ve been studying the basics of HTML5/CSS3/Javascript from books. I’ve also learned core Python and core Java.

I want to know what’s the best direction to take in this field and what’s in demand.

Thank you

There are quite a bit of variables about “what’s in demand”. Depends on where you live, what kind of work place you want, how much you wanna make, etc…

Look for job openings in your area, there isn’t an exact answer. You have to research these things.

Yes there are many variables indeed. I understand from the research I’ve done that Javascript is the goto language for both front and back end. I haven’t done anything with Node.js yet and that’s why I’m here.

I also want to know what languages to invest in. I’ve done a bit of Java because the jobs in that language are phenomenally plenty and the pay is good. I worked in the telecom field for 18 years and come from a technical and math oriented background. I want to match or increase my previous salary of $37/hour which I was making in my previous career.

I hope that make things a little clearer. Thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

Depends on how much time you have avaiable. Understanding a single language is not a wise idea in general, you should be able to understand the principles behind each language, that way picking up a new language is usually just about getting used to the new syntax.
For example, most systems languages (C, Rust, C++ etc) have some sort of Enum implementation, but javascript doesn’t. If you learn javascript instead of learn about programming, you’ll be unable to implement your version of enum in javascript, because you will lack the underlying principle of what an enum is.

This applies to understanding higher order functions, callbacks, memory allocation and many other computer science principles. Learning one language is just plain inefficient use of your time. At the same time, if you plan on being a web designer, this knowledge will be useless for you.

What i’m trying to say is that i don’t know. Only you can know how much time you have avaiable and how much effort you’re willing to put in. Maybe learning computer science will be correct, but maybe you don’t care enough about it in your line of work and learning about color theory would be more useful to you specifically.
Sorry but there really isn’t a “better language to invest in”. You can do pretty much anything in any language, if you’re looking for a quick work, just look for job openings in your area and see whatever is most often requested. If you want to learn how to be an effective programmer, i would recommend you to look for computer science introduction courses until you grok enough about programming principles, that way learning a new language is about work environment and syntax instead of concepts.

If you want a general idea of which languages are relevant in the market today, just go to stack overflow’s job board and take a look at what is most often requested for which position. Ain’t no easy answer.