Build a Celestial Bodies Database - Saving universe.sql file from CodeAlly VM

I have completed this project (Celestial Bodies Database).

As instructed, I have saved a dump of the universe database (universe.sql).

Please guide me through the following step about saving the file in a public repository. Where is this repository and how to I save the file to it.
***Save the universe.sql file in a public repository and submit the URL to it on freeCodeCamp.org ***

About the public repository, I understood that GitHub Repository can be used. But how do I download the universe.sql file from the CodeAlly VM? I believe this file is required to be uploaded in the repository, isn’t it?

Well, I read the related posts in this forum about the steps to save the universe.sql file in the public repository. Didn’t actually cross my mind what you meant for us to do was to copy and paste the contents of the universe.sql file to a new file (txt or doc etc) in our computer and then upload the new file to a public repository. For a while I was thinking in terms of downloading the universe.sql file as such from the CodeAlly VM (which wasn’t the case).

1 Like

I agree that the instructions were very unclear, especially for users (such as myself) with no prior knowledge of Github, repositories, etc.

So for those users who find their way here with the same questions I had, you need to do the following steps:

1. Use the provided instructions to create the SQL dump
  2. You should then see the file in the left pane of the Code Ally screen. Under Project you should now have a new file named “Universe.sql”
  3. Open that then Ctrl + A and Ctrl + C to copy all of it
  4. In your GitHub account select to create a new public repository
  5. Below the “Quick setup” option you’ll see smaller text " Get started by [creating a new file] or [uploading an existing file]." Click the “creating a new file” hyperlink.
  6. Give it the name “Universe.sql” and then paste all you copied from Step 3 into the editor
  7. Scroll down and click “Commit New File” button
  8. Below “yourName Create Universe.sql” you will see a row with the text “Universe.sql”. Right click that hyperlink and copy the link address (It should be something like this: “https://github.com/yourName/yourPublicRepositoryName/blob/main/Universe.sql”). This is what you need to paste into the Solution Link field in freecodecamp to submit that you have completed the challenge.
8 Likes

Extremely helpful, thank you!

I have done this and still have issues with it accepting my github link.

Oh, I realize now for some reason you have to go ahead and start the next module. Then, if you go back to the celestial project and submit the link. It will work.