Build a Portfolio Page Questions, Discussion, and Resources (October 2017 Cohort)

Here’s our cohort schedule.

Reply with your questions, comments, and additional resources regarding the info presented in the Build a Personal Portfolio Page project.

Here are the two FCC example projects for reference. The beta example is probably more reasonable for those of us who are going through FCC without prior knowledge:

You can edit this post, like a wiki, to help keep things organized and add resources and other information you want to share with others.

DEADLINE: 12/10/2017 11:59PM PST

Resources

Checklist for reviewing projects:

(Source: Codecademy)

1. Does this project adhere to best coding practices? Is it well formatted and tidy?

2. Is the HTML structure convoluted and unnecessarily nested? Are container elements used in a way that enhance overall page structure? In other words, does the student effectively use container elements to create a coherent structure without venturing into divitis territory?

3. Does the stylesheet make good use of the cascade and classes to avoid redundancy in the CSS?

4. Can the CSS or HTML be simplified?

5. Are selectors too long (say greater than three elements) and does the student try to keep CSS specificity low?

6. Are the relative paths correct?

7. Are semantic tags being used correctly? Are deprecated tags being used?

8. Are concise but descriptive alt attributes being used?

9. Are semantic class names being used?

Finished Projects for Review

Please create a new forum topic and add the forum topic URL below. Also, if you add your project here, please try to review at least two other projects so everyone’s projects can get reviewed.

1 Like

Does anyone have a good resource for best practices when it comes to scaling fonts to accommodate large (4k) and small screens using only HTML and CSS? Is it best practice to use media queries or is there a more modern HTML5/CSS3 way to do this?

So far I’ve just found media queries, no idea if there’s any other way to do this.

I completed my profile project, for now anyway. There’s still room for growth. :slight_smile: If you have a moment, please review it and let me know what you think in my project topic. I plan to start reviewing other projects soon. :sunny: