Build a survey form pretty lost

So ive been loking at the screen for a half hour now. any confidence i had is gone. Ive looked at some “sample” survey forms completed by others campers using html and css i know for fact was not covered.

look at this : https://codepen.io/Magopolis/pen/ZEYmqMK
am i supposed to be able to do this?

is it common to repeat the lessons, maybe even 3 times through?

one question right off the rip…why isnt the language or <!DOCtype> stuff on any of these forms ive looked at? <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css"> i dont see either?
why am i looking at this project in some format on some page ive never seen before? what is MP- survey?

thanks again

Are not required in codepen, but you will need for what you are doing in the challenge

I would say its very common for people to go on lessons they may have had a hard time with previously, or they want to try and get a better understanding. You do get most of your knowledge from actually putting these lessons to use in projects like this.

Your supposed to be able to create a form, but it doesnt have to be this form. Just make sure your form can pass all the tests that the challenge gives to you.

Some other campers may have looked up other things and used them in the form, and thats good for them.

You shouldnt be so focused on others, and what they can do. Right now, you need to stay focused on what you can do and then as you gain more knowledge you can come back and make the form look even better. The biggest goal right now is just getting the code to pass the tests. As I said, you get most of your knowledge from actually doing the projects and putting the lessons you went through to use. When you have a question then you can ask here, but the most important thing is you try to do all that you can do first.

2 Likes

what do they mean by user stories? Cody how long have you been programming, what do you specialize in? are you on a beach somewhere on a laptop and after you work a few hours saving a companies system you do a little pro bono code camp?

Simply a user story is a feature that is written from the perspective of the user who is going to be using your website or software. Generally, when you get a professional dev job you will use something called a dev ops board to track progress, tasks, notes, etc of the project you are working on. One way a project is broken up into pieces is by using user stories, and they are assigned to devs to complete. That’s basically what they are doing here, they are breaking the project up into “user stories” so you don’t get overwhelmed and you can focus on one story at a time. There is actually more meaning behind user stories, but I dont think you need to worry about that right now. For your sake of completing this project just view these as steps you need to complete.

I have been programming for few years, and I work at a company as a software developer. I typically work on the front end side of things, but on occasion I was do some work on the backend.

I am far from working on a beach, and definitely work more than a few hours a day. My day typically 10 hours, but sometimes goes over to 12 hours if there is a real big project we are working on. I often have downtime when we are waiting on your next project to come through, so I like to volunteer my time and answer questions on here when I can

1 Like

After your little pep talk i sat down pulled up my html and css references my notes, decided it would most definitely not hurt at all to do it all lessons over again, but not necessary at all.im rather ashamed; the lessons themselves were harder then what this registration form is asking for LOL. note to self…do not cry on the forums until your sure you should be crying :wink:

<!DOCtype html>
<html lang="eng"></html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>Survey Form</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" />
<head/>
<body>
<h1 id="title">Survey Form</h1>
<p id="description"> this is a registration form project</p>
<form id="survey-form">
<p><label for="name-label" id="name-label">
Full Name:</label></p>
<input id="name" type="text" placeholder="enter your full name" required>
<p><label for"email-label" id="email-label">
Email:</label></p>
<input id="email" type="email" placeholder="enter valid email" required>
<p><label for"number-label" id="number-label"> Age:</label></p>
<input id="number" type="number" min="18" max="100" placeholder="age" required>
<p><label for="dropdown" choose></label></p>
  <select name="dropdown" id="dropdown"       placeholder="choose one">
          <option 
value="noobie">noobie</option>
          <option 
value="novis">novise</option>
          <option 
value="pro"  >pro </option>
<fieldset>
<p><input type="radio" value="male" name="gender"> male</input><label for="gender">
<input type="radio" value="female" name="gender">female </input><label for="female"></label><p/>
</select>
<input id="idk" type="checkbox" name="morning"  value="morning" name="check">
<input id="idk" type="checkbox" name="check" value="idk">morning
</fieldset>
<p label for="comments"> please enter comments:</p>
<textarea id="comments" name="comments" placeholder="tell us your thoughts">
</textarea>
<input type="submit" id="submit">
</form>
</body>

.p{
color: red;
}
.label {
  display: block;
  margin: 0.5rem 0;}
 input[type="submit"] {
  display: block;
  width: 60%; 

did i post code correctly? is there any easier way then cop/paste twice?

this is really ugly. Im thinking i need to redo all the lessons again as the only real solution here. one thing for sure: the format,placement, styling is x10 harder then the actual elements and text.

none of the CSS i have written is doing anything. have i not linked it correctly?

should i post this in the forum as a new subject instead?

Its not formatted the best which makes it hard to see everything. What you can do is use the help button in the challenge so we can see everything a lot better then I can close this one and we continue the discussion in the new topic. Or, we can keep discussing here, but the formatting does need some work.

The only way to add code is by doing the following. You will want to use the button it shows once for your html and the once again for your css

When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (').

In the freeCodeCamp editor the CSS file is named styles.css so that is what you should link to.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.