Build a Tribute Page - Need Feedback

Tell us what’s happening:

Hey all!

This is my first time sharing anything coding related so PLEASE go easy on me :slight_smile:

I would really like to make this look less bland but I have no clue where to really start…where do you recommend I even start? I know I should be thinking creatively but it would definitely help to hear some of your different thought processes.

I feel as though I may not have enough element names (I used div a lot) and this could create problems trying to format the page down the line.

I really look forward to getting ripped apart and really digging into this more!

Your code so far

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:

I think its a great base to work with. The look is clean and well structured. I would suggest resizing the image and making it much smaller. I don’t feel strong with design as I am not overly creative, so I recommend playing around with text-shadows, borders, maybe an hr element. Those type of things can really help a site look special and different. Also, try re-arranging the timeline to look more structured. Dates should line up and the events should line up together. That would be a good CSS alignment practice, too.

1 Like

this can be easily done with flexbox

You should increase line height and margins. items are really close to each other

also can you limit the width of the html code to i.e. 80px. this would make coding and seeing the preview side by side much easier.

And make text responsive. they are small for desktop. Use custom font (e.g. from google fonts)

Change this code:

<div> <strong>1917</strong> - Born in Cheraw, South Carolina </div>
  <div> <strong>1921</strong> - Begins playing the piano </div>
  <div> <strong>1930</strong> - Hears Roy Eldridge play trumpet </div>
  <div> <strong>1933</strong> - Won scholarship to Laurinberg Institute </div>
  <div> <strong>1942</strong> - Joined Earl Hines' Big Band in Chicago  </div>
  <div> <strong>1943</strong> - Records 'Salt Peanuts' with Kenny Clarke </div>
  <div> <strong>1945</strong> - Teams up with Charlie Parker </div>
  <div> <strong>1947</strong> - Chano Pozo joins Dizzy's band and introduces Afro-Cuban music to the world </div>
  <div> <strong>1957</strong> - Plays Newport Jazz Festival  </div>
  <div> <strong>1960</strong> - Inducted into the 'Downbeat' Hall of Fame  </div>
  <div> <strong>1972</strong> - First jazz musician to be appointed to undertake a cultural mission </div>
  <div> <strong>1977</strong> - Performs at the White House for the President </div>
  <div> <strong>1993</strong> - Dizzy Gillespie dies of pancreatic cancer  </div>

to:

<pre>
      <strong>1917</strong> - Born in Cheraw, South Carolina
      <strong>1921</strong> - Begins playing the piano
      <strong>1930</strong> - Hears Roy Eldridge play trumpet
      <strong>1933</strong> - Won scholarship to Laurinberg Institute
      <strong>1942</strong> - Joined Earl Hines' Big Band in Chicago
      <strong>1943</strong> - Records 'Salt Peanuts' with Kenny Clarke
      <strong>1945</strong> - Teams up with Charlie Parker
      <strong>1947</strong> - Chano Pozo joins Dizzy's band and introduces Afro-Cuban music
      to the world
      <strong>1957</strong> - Plays Newport Jazz Festival
      <strong>1960</strong> - Inducted into the 'Downbeat' Hall of Fame
      <strong>1972</strong> - First jazz musician to be appointed to undertake a cultural
      mission
      <strong>1977</strong> - Performs at the White House for the President
      <strong>1993</strong> - Dizzy Gillespie dies of pancreatic cancer
    </pre>

pre tag uses monospace font by default, so be sure to change it’s ‘font-family’ to ‘inherit’.
or you can also use p tag with breaks:

<p>
      <strong>1917</strong> - Born in Cheraw, South Carolina <br>
      <strong>1921</strong> - Begins playing the piano <br>
      <strong>1930</strong> - Hears Roy Eldridge play trumpet <br>
      <strong>1933</strong> - Won scholarship to Laurinberg Institute <br>
      <strong>1942</strong> - Joined Earl Hines' Big Band in Chicago <br>
      <strong>1943</strong> - Records 'Salt Peanuts' with Kenny Clarke <br>
      <strong>1945</strong> - Teams up with Charlie Parker <br>
      <strong>1947</strong> - Chano Pozo joins Dizzy's band and introduces Afro-Cuban
      to the world <br>
      <strong>1957</strong> - Plays Newport Jazz Festival <br>
      <strong>1960</strong> - Inducted into the 'Downbeat' Hall of Fame <br>
      <strong>1972</strong> - First jazz musician to be appointed to undertake a cultural
      mission <br>
      <strong>1977</strong> - Performs at the White House for the President <br>
      <strong>1993</strong> - Dizzy Gillespie dies of pancreatic cancer <br>
    </p> 

or you can also replace div tags in the original code with p tags, which is still clunky, but more clear.

if you have problems implementing any of my suggestions, I can help :slight_smile:

design wise you can refer to my tribute page: https://codepen.io/supuun/pen/aKyaPB :sweat_smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Really helpful suggestions. I hope you don’t mind but I messed around with your CSS to try and gain an understanding how to actually the style page a bit more. Feel free to check it out now!

Actually, how could I format this better so it loads on mobile and actually looks okay?