Can I get a developer job out of high school?

TL;DR Can I realistically get a developer job/internship out of high school, and if so, what’s the best way to go about it?

So a little over a year ago I decided that my dreams were beginning to call for collection. I was entered in the Florida State Science and Engineering Fair with a couple of friends, doing a project on vulnerabilities in RSA Key encryption. Now at the time, I had never written a line of code in my life, my two friends just entered me in with them because I was a good with projects, organizing, keeping deadlines, etc. We went in the competition fully expecting to sweep the competition, “Who else could do something as complicated as this?” we thought. Needless to say, we got obliterated.

That’s what originally inspired me to learn to code, I wanted to be successful, I didnt want to let life pass me by. Well one year later and here I am. Im very thankful to Free Code Camp and their community for teaching me the ropes and offering their support free of charge.

Now I am at another important point in my life. I am now a high school senior and am slated to graduate in about a month and half. After that I have been accepted to the University of Florida, and start classes in the fall. Although I have received a significant amount on financial aid and scholarships, I really would like to get a job as soon as I can.

Any recommendations on how to go about this, or is it even possible? I’m on track to finish the last Full-Stack project by the time I graduate, as a benchmark of where I’m at.

1 Like

Yes. Write up a resume that includes your academic records, references to and descriptions of the best projects in your portfolio, and a little blurb about who you are and what your plans are. Send it out to everyone with a job posting. However, if you don’t need to work, it would be a better use of your time to engage in student projects and hackathons. You’ll have the rest of your life to be a cog in the machine.

By “machine,” @PortableStick means the pantatorship.

1 Like

One day, after significant re-education and/or forced labor for our Lord of Trousers, you will come to appreciate pants as well.

I hate pants…I really do. long sigh

What even…

If you really need the money you could try freelancing though mostly you’ll be underpaid in the beginning.

We are in the same situation man I’m a high school senior as well and I’m located here in SoCal. I finished front end section a couple wks ago and currently working on my portfolio site. After I finish it I’ll start applying for intern/jobs during the summer.

Why not look for a paid internship. It seems you’re ahead of the game. If you want a great internship and are ok with not attending school for a semester (Fall or Spring), I recommend that you apply for a paid internship with NASA. Happy coding!

Yes, it all depends on your real abilities.