Can you make something good, better?

I love everything about this site.
I have become obsessed with everything coding related. which is why i’m making this post. i want to learn it all from full-stack web development which you do here. but i also want to learn the equivalent amount of coding about game development. to the point i could build engines and Operating Systems.

So my main question is where do i go after here.
p.s. i am register college student as well for AAS in Cpt Programming.

Game development, building game engines, and building operating systems are very different things and will demand very different things of you.

For game dev, learn a pre-built engine like Unity or Unreal.
For building game engines, you’ll need to learn C/C++ very well, as well as strong math skills.
For building an operating system, you’ll need a strong grasp of computer architecture, low level programming, file systems, and drivers.

You’ll be able to learn about all of these to some degree, but you’re going to have to make a choice about what you want to do professionally. There’s only so much time in the day, and only so many days in your life.

Check out this course, nand2tetris, which teach you the most profound truths of computer science. I can’t recommend it enough.

2 Likes

thank you that helps a lot. my dream is game development, but i want to keep a foot in web bc i feel theres more jobs.
I actually did download Unreal 4 since it’s free, which is why i want to learn c/c++ really bad. and i thought this would be a great place to start.
i’m definetly going to check that out today.

I think you’re on a good track. I haven’t looked at the syllabus closely for our local university’s game development bachelor’s degree, but I’ve been around the net a long time. I can tell you that no matter which language you learn, once you know one well, a LOT of it can transfer to others.

The trick is learning the logic, problem solving, and math…pretty much in that order. The better you get in each, the better a programmer you will be.

Quite a lot can be done with game development on the web now. My kids, for instance, are insanely into ROBLOX and other web games. I never thought much of these types of games, but now that I’m getting into professional programming, I realized how much money is potentially there. A lot of people tend to think console is where the money is, or that you have to hit it big like Minecraft to bring in the money.

First, of course, figure out what you WANT to do, what you love. Because, whatever you choose, you’ll likely spend a lot of time doing it. If you do decide on game development, definitely keep those web skills handy. Everything is online now, even games, and I only see them merging more down the road.

1 Like

thank you i appreciate and take seriously. I feel very strong in web development. I’ve been able to build two projects and complete 140 things on FCC in only 10 days. but i did have to look at someone else’s portfolio to figure somethings out.

CS programs tend to get you using Java, so it may be more efficient for you to learn C#/Unity for now (C# and Java are very much alike). It’s also free and it’s a lot of fun. There’s a ton of tutorials online for it and I think the barrier for entry is much lower than it is for Unreal 4. You could very well be working on your first Unity game a month from now. If you really wanted to stick with UDK4, you’ll either use Kismet or spend the next three months getting your head around C++.

Between the two of them, I think Unity offers the greatest job prospects. It shows up everywhere. I worked as a sound designer for a few different gaming companies and we always used Unity, if only for the UI of some mobile app.

That sounds like a great idea, is there an online program or site you’d recommend for learning unity. i like the sound of in a month and greatest job prospect. i’m trying to be mature and financial stable about it while living the dream.

The first place I suggest checking is your local libraries. Notice that’s plural. Don’t stop at just your local library, especially if you’re in a sparsely populated area. Check out the websites for all of your state’s libraries and see what digital subscriptions they offer. More and more, public libraries are paying for online learning subscriptions. Most of the time, it’s for Lynda.com, which is fantastic, but maybe a bit dry. Sometimes, they’ll pay for Treehouse, which offers the best introduction to new subjects, IMO. Ideally, you’ll get both subscriptions without paying a dime (other than your taxes, of course). If all else fails, the Queens Public Library in New York City offers an out of state library card for $50 per year, which includes a Treehouse subscription*. This is much better than paying the full price of $240/year.

Of course, also check the library for books and other online services. Other than that, Youtube and Amazon will have what you need, but Amazon will, of course, charge you.

I should also clarify that by “first game in a month”, I don’t mean that you’ll be making something super awesome that people will want to buy. I mean that you could be starting your first solo project that will hone your skills. Maybe you can turn it into something sellable, but game development is damn hard.

*Double check this before signing up, I found this out over a year ago.

Thats what i’ve heard you usually have to make like 10-30 games before you make a sell able one. I’ll have two years starting in fall at my community college to check and see if they have any books on the subjects (st.charles c.c. in MO).
Once i have spent 6 or months learning and practicing. do i need to buy unity, and are there programs like compilers i would need to acquire in order to actually start doing freelance free work to build portfolio.

1 Like

You only need to pay for Unity if your game grosses more than $100k, and all of the compilers and tools you need are free. This is true of almost any language, framework, and platform.

1 Like

Yes in Roblox you can build games in Lua. I have seen it and tried it before. It is very hard because the wiki and tutorials are out dated and teach you too much of how to do something instead of what it means.